Poetry #6 in portuguese

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 13:43:31 PST 2006

Thank you dear Lisa for your effort.

  But I am afraid there was a misunderstanding (my fault, for sure).

  I could read your poem!!! (if not, I would not give you my votes, even if "after the fact").

  My complain, was that in many other cases (but not all) I am not able to understand some of the poems and so I am unable to vote.

  Now, answering to your suggestion for a context in Portuguese, and to Chris offer to help me with any poem if I chosed to write one in Portuguese, I must say that I don't write poems even in Portuguese. Only prose.

  I tryied - as most people do - when I was a teenager (oh, so long ago), but I have discovered that I loved poetry too much to accept imperfect poems (my own, off course; my own... especially)

  Beijos e abraços

  Artur

  -------.

Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net> wrote:
                Hello, everyone, and Artur especially –

  Artur, you had shared how difficult it is to understand a poem written in English – and I will guess, especially a satirical poem (one written using irony or sarcasm to expose human silliness).

  This is the poem I shared with OSLIST some time ago.  For those of you new to the list, every six months or so we nominate a new OSLIST Poet Laureate, through inviting a contest of poetry.  This is the poem I submitted for the Open Space satire poetry contest, and this is how I came to hold the lovely honor of being your current Poet Laureate, dear readers.

  I asked my dear Brazilian friends if they could translate my poem for Artur into his home language (even though Brazilian Portuguese may be slightly different than Portuguese in Portugal, I suspect).

  The fabulous Ronaldo Mussauer de Lima (an incredible international AIDS activist and a really brilliant, warm and silly person) has offered this translation – though he apologizes for any imperfections as translating poetry is a fine art in itself.  It took a little while to receive this translation as Ronaldo was traveling in various parts of the world doing his good deeds.

  Here you go, dear Artur – see if it reads more easily for you

  Uma vez eu tentei fazer tudo ao contrário.
  Sente na fila.
  Eu devo ficar de pé no pódio e te dizer como pensar.
  Nao tem espaco para outros pensamentos, isto está fora de cogitação.
  Por favor, prepare os itens de discussão com uma semana de antecedência.
  Eu selecionarei alguns tópicos que eu acredite que fazem parte do assunto.
  Por favor evite pensar até o início oficial da nossa reunião.
  Somente aqueles com títulos especias devem ter idéias.
  Não saia da sala.
  Por favor, garanta que você terminará a reunião com os mesmos pensamentos que você tinha quando chegou.
  Mantenha as janelas fechadas para que nenhum inseto pertube a nossa reunião.
  Não respire, por favor.

  _______________________________

  I once tried to do everything opposite.
Sit in a line.
I shall stand at a podium and tell you how to think.
No room for extra thoughts – that is off-topic.
Please have your agenda items ready one week in advance.
I will select a few topics I feel pertain to the issue.
Please refrain from thinking until the official start time of our meeting.
Only those with special titles may have ideas.
Do not leave the room.
Please be sure you end the meeting with the same thoughts you came in with.
Keep the windows closed so no insects fly in to disturb our meeting.
No breathing, please.

  Beijos, Lisa
  L i s a   H e f t
  Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
  O p e n i n g  S p a c e
  lisaheft at openingspace.net
  www.openingspace.net

* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist