great succes for Open Space in the Netherlands

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Mar 14 08:07:22 PST 2006

My (short?) answer, Carla, is that OST works because people care.
While some care about big things (community) and others care only for
smaller (personal) agendas, virtually everybody is definitely out
there in the world trying to get something, get happy, make some money
or make a difference, however they might define that.  Academics Fred
and Merrelyn Emery and Eric Trist used to say "People are purposeful,
and can be ideal seeking."  We might not like or appreciate everyone's
purpose, but they do have them.  And when given an ideal, in the form
of invitation, we are naturally inclined to seek it, together.
Because we are also herding animals, with brains that entrain with
other brains, as a necessary survival tool.  Finally, in another form
of academic language, this time from business, OST opens 'efficient
markets' for information.  Prices in markets for goods and services
are understood academically as simply information about the value of
things.  So, too, in the posting in our OST marketplaces.  The
postings are information about value(s).  Bids and offers of
information.  Bids to work together, herding, toward ideals, and in
the course of the trading, everybody seeking what they want in
relation to what everyone else wants.  OST just lets it all happen in
a more liquid, flexible, flow movement of people and information.  A
more effecient marketplace for what we're already wired to do.

my two cents.  michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates