A Quiet Time

Frank Deitle commoikos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 08:11:17 PST 2006

Harrison wrote:

"It turns out that full, conscious awareness of the present moment is
no easy thing."

Maybe it is... maybe it isn't. Maybe full, concious awareness of the present
moment is so easy we completely overlook its effortless unfolding. Maybe
we're allready completely aware and there is nothing more that has to be
done. Or maybe there is absolutely no such thing as full, conscious
awareness of the present moment.. its just another illusory end game
scenario we lust after with reckless abandon never to be "achieved." Maybe.
I really don't know. But it looks like a nice day out today in Ft Wayne, In.
The sun is actually shining and I may go for a walk in the park later.

In regards to the theme of your book, Open Space in the daily lives of
organizations of all sorts, what interests me most is what the most
kick-ass, uber-groovy Open Space organization would look like, feel like,
sound like, taste like. How would it start, how would it grow and continue
to support itself, what would its mission be (I'm rather fond of: *Making
Life More Wonderful in a Sustainable Celebration of Life*), what would the
daily interactions look like and how would they change over time, how would
this creature interact with other organisms and how would it reproduce
itself (and take over the world!)?
So if you don't write about that in your book, maybe I'll have to write a
book... or we could just do it... or maybe we allready are doing it. One of
my organizations is called Spaceship Love Studios and I like to think we are
very hard at work on these issues--toiling night and day to figure these
things out. Its a tough job.

On the subject of hugging and touching... I'd like to point out that from a
"scientific" perspective even with touch, it is just not possible to be
present with someone at exactly the same time. Sorry to burst your bubble
Paul, but you see it still takes nanoseconds of *time* for that signal from
your skin to go up your nerves and into your brain before you actually have
that formality of experience. It looks like we'll never get there in that
moment together... always light years away. Personally I think that story is
a depressing pile of crap though. Let's make up a new one (preferably one
that doesn't hinge on the the findings of science or religion... those folks
are always changing there mind about stuff. Very confusing.).

And I really liked what Tree had to say about this culture of assumed "hugs
are good." I mostly like hugs yet I'd like to see more discussion and
awareness about its presence in our relating. At the moment I'm wondering
about Tree's comment that she hates when people impose touch her without
asking. Whos responsibility is it to assure the appropriateness of a
particular action? There may be times when asking is appropriate, and other
times when perhaps the would be reciever should take the responsibility for
saying no and then learning to enjoy whatever response they get from that.
I'm contrasting this to other modes of expression and contact, for instance
speaking. Would I want to ask everytime I opened my mouth? I would hope that
others would let me know if my rattling on didn't meet particular needs of
theirs. I guess my responsibility would lie in checking in with another
person if I *felt* we we're not on the same page. Just comunicating my
feelings and needs as they arise. And the other person's responsibility
would be the same. Hmm, I'm wondering how well this fits with what you were
talking about, Tree. Maybe I'm way out in left field. Fascinating topic
though. A very important discussion I think for the day to day functioning
of High Performance Organizations.

Enjoy the Day!
-Frank Deitle