open space to help address child servitude in Haiti

Murli Nagasundaram murli at boisestate.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:12:35 PST 2006

>>> englejohn at hotmail.com 03/21/06 7:27 PM >>>

Friends on OSLIST:

For anyone who is interested, here's a link to a recent update on the
Campaign to End Child Servitude (in Haiti) which Beyond Borders is a part
of.

http://www.beyondborders.net/BB-Mail/2006-03/Madame-Marcel.htm

While this update does not mention Open Space, there are pictures of people
writing and proposing subjects. The fact is, this dynamic campaign was born
during an open space meeting that my colleagues and I organized years ago in
Port-au-Prince and open space continues to be the favorite tool as my
colleagues work to build the Campaign.

I don't have time to translate the regular reports from open space meetings
with groups, communties, organizations, etc that my colleagues are doing
toward ending the practice of child servitude.

It's somehow invisible like so many social evils. Every Haitian knows about
child servitude and most have witnessed horrific abuses. Yet, it's tabou to
talk about.

But, thanks to invitation and open space, it's being talked about in corners
throughout Haiti. And this public discourse is healing and it's helping the
campaign to gain momentum.

john

http://circlesofchange.com participatory learning & leadership in Haiti
http://johnengle.net Open Space facilitation