my work of tonight

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Mar 21 20:55:40 PST 2006

Ah, Ted...

Ted wrote:

<I think I've written a bit here before about holding space for a

Tantra community.  Tonight was the 3rd such meeting and the principal

didn't want to use open space again.  I learned this less than 5

minutes before the scheduled opening time.  I've very conflicted

inside.  I've written a long account of the evening on my blog for

anyone that cares to delve deeper: http://tedernst.com/wp/?p=377

Maybe a more general question to ask would be "What do you do when the
sponsor wants to back out at the last minute?">

Sounds like a breathing lesson...

I feel it might have been respectful for the woman to let you know about the
change in approach with more time in advance.  But I'm not clear on the
culture of the group - maybe it felt to her / the group usually works more
casually or spontaneously than that as a rule.

I suppose you could look at it as a control thing....or as someone coming
forward to name what holds passion for them (which is not something you have
passion for).

It certainly shifted your role from space-holder to participant, and it
sounds like you kept testing the temperature to see if you felt connected
but tried to stay present with your real feelings of not feeling quite
connected.

Great learning for you and for the group.  I wonder how everyone felt
afterwards, reflecting on the various approaches to meetings? I wonder if it
matters that all are done in Open Space?  I wonder if this body work was
something others were yearning for?

It sounds like it might be useful to engage the conversation in advance of
the next meeting as to approaches, design, roles and so on...

Oh.  Hmmm.  To answer your question above: I would say that if it happened
to me I would offer to this person what might happen, what might not happen,
perhaps ask the group in the beginning (but quickly so in such a short
meeting the time could be spent on whatever is the approach decided upon) -
and/or

just

            let

                        go

.and if it is a group I want to participate in, decide if I need to continue
in the group or not - if it is serving my needs.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e