Key Personalities

Melinda Salazar msalazar at cisunix.unh.edu
Thu Jun 29 11:04:42 PDT 2006

Dear Diana,
Ah, a very familiar scenerio and one in which we, two teachers who
collaborate on an annual Teaching Peace conference for educators,
parents, and community folk, struggled with this year.  Our first
conference offered the un-Open Space/traditional conference format with
compelling keynotes (published, renowned academics) and a 5 strand
breakout workshops, also presented by academics, educators and
community members.  We provided a conference line-up not to be missed
(tee-shirts and all!). We drew a little over one hundred participants,
including students, teachers and community activists, as well as the
(left-leaning) filmmakers who used the ocnference to 'get up-close and
personal' with  anti-war scholars.

After experiencing Open Space at a Baha'i environmental conference with
Steve Cochran (US Partnership of the UN Decade for Education for
Sustainable Development), I convinced my conference collaborator to try
Open Space the following year.  Long story short, the OS conference was
equally successful with a smaller attendance due to, we believe, a
challenging date vs. conference format.  The biggest difference between
the two conferences was: 1) no matter what we did, we could NOT get the
academics to attend, which is interesting in an of itself in terms of
our (I also wear an academic hat) retention and promotion conference
activity as well as a gap of OS in higher ed settings, and 2)
attracting participants without the 'line-up.'

We tried a version of your proposed plan, which I've come to learn from
this list as a functional transitional strategy. We invited key
individuals to host an OS session and had to work hard to convey OS
concepts to these individuals over and over: you are not presenting a
paper, or facilitating a workshop, rather you are kick starting a
conversation about.....  This approach was successful for some and not
for others. We did provide a Marketplace space where these selected
indivuals, as well as others, could set up a table, etc. and worked
Marketplace time into the conference.

Can you read more about our OS Teaching Peace conference on our
website? Not yet!  Have I done anything with the OS reports? Not yet!
Hopefully, over the summer.....so I appreciate this opportunity to
revisit our 1st OS conference.

Warmly,
Melinda

Melinda Salazar, Ph.D