OS in University Settings

Harrison Owen hhowen at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 27 13:43:19 PDT 2006

Is this the fellow from Haas? Contacted me and I lost the address. Hopefully this is the same person. My favorite story from this sort of  venue comes from Columbia Business School and is the brainchild of Shrikuma Rao. Shrikuma put together a program which could have the title (mine not his) "So you have now done Business School -- now what about the Business of your life?" It is a regular course with lots of challenging reading and discussion and a feature is a weekend Open Space. When I did it, the theme was, "What are you going to do for the rest of your life?" The Os has now become a regular part and they do it themselves (one more thing not to do). Over the years (I think the program is about 5 years old) it has filled out every time it is offered. As a matter of fact the last time I talked to Shrikumar he said they receive 4 applications for every one they accepted. In addition people from the Law School, and the School of International Relations have come in. The Dean apparently doesn't like it, and has tried repeatedly to shut it down. Every time he tries a large delegation of graduates descend on his office. So far it continues -- to the best of my knowledge.

Harrison

Another vignette -- A group of Business School Deans and CEOs has been working for the past several years on "Preparing Globally Responsible Leadership" under a grant from the EU. Their last meeting where they were attempting to pull everything together and figure out where to go next was in Open Space -- when they told me was the only way they could deal with the diveristy of opinion/egos/agendas and get anything done. Seemed to work. Took place this April at INSEAD -- French Business School. Fun.

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854