Future Search

Diane Brandon diane at keysregion.org
Tue Jun 13 05:27:45 PDT 2006

Erich, good point, about situations where people aren't ready for OS
because certain conditions don't yet exist. Other participatory
methods may loosen the "old" structures, leading to a point where the
conditions do exist.

We used Future Search in 1997, and it was a major innovation that we
had a 3-day conference with (shock) NO SPEAKERS!!! No lectures, no
books to read.... just the 64 people talking to each other from Wed.
evening, through Th all day, and for most of Friday. It was
revolutionary at that point, in our little region here, with a mix of
leaders from schools, healthcare organizations, governments, agency
leaders, senior citizen organizations, youth organizations, etc.,
looking at the broad topic of what all wanted to do for the well-
being of the people of our region. And action groups did form (across
traditional boundaries), and projects coming from them continued for
the past 9 years, with over $3 million of grant funds brought in for
collaborative projects.... and we've since used AI and World Cafe
style meetings, and I think we are past due for introducing OS! (One
of our Coalition Executive Board members uses and leads OS in his
organization (U. Maine Extension), so we do have a resource person at
hand.)

All to say -- different tools seem appropriate for different
situations and different developmental stages.

Diane

Diane Brandon, Coordinator
KEYS Coalition (Community Wellness Coalition)
Landmark Hill, 518 Rte One, Kittery, ME 03904
207-438-9100
Fax: 207-439-8764
diane at keysregion.org
www.keysregion.org