Report from Russian course

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Mon Jun 5 21:53:45 PDT 2006

Thomas,

This was yet another example of how maybe there are no teachers and no
students, just co-rememberers.

I remembered for the first time that opening space in any language is
very easy. It never occurred to me before that it could be that
simple. It just opens up really widely the potential for all of us to
do international work!

A few others wanted to join but were unable to. I'd be happy to offer
the OS Russian course again sometime in July.

And again, I invite all who intend to come to Moscow to take a few hours
(three hours maximum?) to learn Cyrillic, the Russian alphabet.

Today's OS term of the day is "space-holder."- "dirzhatil
prastranstva"

the "zh" is like the "g" in giraffe
the "r" is rolled almost like in Spanish
the "d" is softened to almost a "dz"
the "l" is softened by taking the tip of one's tongue and pressing it
softly against the back of one's two front teeth (the given here: you
must have two front teeth)
the "i" is close the "i" in fish.

Literally translates as "holder of the space."

Good luck,
raffi