Open Jerusalem: Cornerstone for World Peace - My / Our contribution

Harrison Owen hhowen at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 14 05:03:46 PDT 2006

Barry -- Clearly there are other and better places for discussions of the politics of The Middle East (or whereever). That said, it is also true that a number of folks here on the OSLIST (myself included) find themselves engaged on a regular basis in situations of extremely high conflict. It seems that one of the peculiar gifts of Open Space is that it enables folks who have spent a long time hating/distrusting/misunderstanding each other -- to say nothing of killing each other -- to engage in respectuful discourse productive of useful solutions. When that is your experience it is almost inevitable that your personal opinions and observations come into play, and can have a powerful impact, positive or negative, on our capacity to open space for folks who desperately need it. For something of the flavor of the kinds of things we have been engaged in you might take a look at a short piece I wrote several years ago on work I did with a group of Palestinians and Israelis (http://www.openspaceworld.com/opening_space_for_peace.htm) So I guess I would see it as all part of the learning process as we share our experience doing what we do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854