OST for religious communities

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jul 12 08:55:01 PDT 2006

Thus wrote the insightful Lisa...
So: design it, prepare for it, and facilitate
just the way you would any organization, and as
with any organization, use the inspiration and
ideas of the organization’s planning team to see
if weaving in bits of code and culture (such as
song, prayer, lighting candles, or breath work)
helps to invite and frame the Open Space for that
community.  Let me clarify – don’t feel that
extra warm-up or intro things are necessary for
the Open Space to work – it will work if it’s
been chosen as the right tool for the job and is
thoughtfully prepared for.  What I’m saying is if
the culture traditionally frames its work and
coming together as community in a way that
involves ritual, you may wish to design in time
for ritual in the open or close of your day(s).
I agree entirely with this summary counsel - it
has worked with the many faith-based groups I
have had the privilege to journey with - the
process of co-designing the program with the
sponsors enables the culture of the community to
be fully integrated within the gathering in a way
that enriches the OS segment.

In five-day congregational chapters I have
facilitated, DAY ONE began with gathering ritual
prayer/silent time, perhaps honoring the founder
or a particular event in the life of the
community (like the recent 'canonisation' of OS!)
and moving into a day of 'storytelling' to enable
folks who may not have seen each other for the
past two-four years, to reconnect and engage in
community - often based on scriptural stories
such as the Emmaus journey, combined with an
Appreciative Inquiry flow that evoked the central
themes of significant events and sacred moments
during the past year(s)....commencing in pairs,
flowing into foursomes where partners recounted
each others stories (the power of telling your
story in depth to one attentive listener and then
hearing your story being told to others is very
potent in community bonding) and culminating in a
collective sharing of the significant stories
from the small groups - leading to a ritual
celebrating of all that has been life-giving and
'holy' in the lives of this community since last
they gathered together...a naming of the personal
and collective journey to here...

This prepares the way for the opening of space on
DAY TWO which has typically gone for 2.5 days -
creating an intentional discussion and
discernment around where we are called to go
next....with convergence and action planning as
part of the OS process on the morning of DAY FOUR of the gathering.

Then some 'free space' - with some groups there
have been periods of 'noble silence' in the
evenings after dinner and also on the
afternoon/evening of DAY FOUR (some even going
through in silence until breakfast of DAY FIVE) -
this gives space to breathe in deeply the fruits
and challenges of the rich conversations that
have taken place and to discern more fully the
movements of spirit within the individual and the
community - leaving the final day for
congregational business, canononical requirements
and ratification of the action plans prepared in
the OS - great closure where this happens - the
actions going forward to the decision-making body
on the spot!  So that closure of the Assembly
comes with a real sense of completion of the
cycle so meaningful within the Christian metaphor
- reflection on our journey to here, enter the
often painful unknowing of what are we to be
about now - the chaos/confusionof 'hanging' on
the cross betwixt and between the past and the
future - followed by new life as the letting go
of old ways takes shape in dreams and concrete
expressions of hope for how the future will unfold....

I've heard it said by some sponsors during
planning for the Assembly that the final day is
insufficient to get through all their 'business'
that normally takes up most of the Assembly time
(four days) - and they are anxious about that
part as they only meet together every four years
and need to make decisions - and surprise,
surprise - they rattle through the decisions like
a spoon through honey once all the conversations
have taken place in OS - they really feel so
pleased with themselves....its wonderful to behold!

And all of the above interspersed with
culturally-appropriate ritual, prayers, singing, dancing and whatever...
Incidentally, I've also noticed a lot of more
earthy spirit being consumed in the course of some of these assemblies....hic!

Hope this is useful

Cheers
Brendan

Pace E Bene Nonviolence Service
Australian Associate
Ph/fax   +61 8 9244 8090
Mob           042 944 8090
Web     www.paceebene.org
We must be the change we wish to see in the world
                 Mahatma Gandhi