community

Nancy McPhee nancymcphee at cablelan.net
Tue Jul 11 09:01:00 PDT 2006

Hi Scott – I just finished my thesis on community conversation and used Open
Space as my research tool. I too had a hard time figuring out what community
was exactly and found lots of different meanings for the word depending on
your situation. I have skimmed my reference list and found some of the
sources that I used to define community. What ever definition you like, I
think that community is a vital, exciting, challenging, rewarding place that
we create for ourselves where ever we go!

Be well,

Nancy

Dale, A. & Onyx, J (2005) A Dynamic Balance: Social Capital and Sustainable
Community Development. UNIpresses. Georgetown, ON. Retrieved December 5,
2005 from http://www.ubcpress.ca/books/pdf/chapters/intro/daleonyx.pdf

Dunbar, R. (1996). Grooming, gossip and the evolution of language. London,
England: Faber and Faber Ltd.

Hanna, K. (2005). Planning for sustainability: Experiences in two
contrasting communities. Journal of the American Planning Association. 71.
(1). 27-40.

Human Resources Development Canada. (1999). The community development
handbook: A tool to build community capacity. Retrieved February 12, 2005
from http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/sid/cia/comm_deve/cdhbooke.pdf

Olson, G. (2006). Love and its counterfeits [Review of the book Bowling
Alone: The collapse and revival of American community] Common Ground, ¶8,
¶9. Retrieved February 9, 2006 from
http://www.commonground.ca/iss/0602175/cg175_olson.shtml

Resilient Communities Project. (2005). Retrieved February 19, 2006 from
http://www2.arts.ubc.ca/rcp/

Schein, E. (1996). Three cultures of management: The key to organizational
learning. Sloan Management Review. Fall.

Smart Growth on the Ground. (2004). What is sustainable community
development? Retrieved February 19, 2005 from
http://www.sgog.bc.ca/content.asp?contentID=10

Sustainability Reporting Program. (2004). Sustainable communities. Retrieved
February 19, 2005 from http://www.sustreport.org/issues/sust_comm.html

Utne, L. (2004). The green M.B.A. Utne, May/June. 28.

  _____