OST for religious communities

Brendan Mckeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jul 9 20:09:24 PDT 2006

G'day Ray
I have opened space a number of times for a group of men in religious
community here in Australia - initially about 10 years ago - a small and
ageing community of about thirty five men - it took a little while for some
of them to get into it as they were mostly over 65 years old - with a few
younger ones between 55-65...they found it quite difficult to acknowledge
and accept their own responsibility and freedoms within the space having
had many years of being told what they were supposed to be doing, and
where/when/how to do it!
However, they persevered and they have now used it for three consecutive
chapters - the latest being just over a year ago - having declared that
Open Space is a wonderfully appropriate way of 'being Church'...
We used a couple of different combinations of Open Space, Appreciative
Inquiry and 'regular canonical-constitutional business' meeting formats -
I'd be happy to let you have further details if you're interested.
Cheers
Brendan
.