Body knows before Brain

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 10:54:16 PDT 2006

Andrew--

Another resource is the book "Blink," by Malcom Gladwell, which is filled
with many examples of "body knows before brain," reports of lots of research
confirming that concept, and some interesting examples of training to help people
use this facility more deliberately in particular circumstances.

Reading it, I felt affirmed in my belief that there are definitely parts of
me that process information more quickly than my cognitive brain.

One exercise that I have experienced is to pair people with a partner.   Each
in turn either holds an object belonging to their partner, or simply focuses
their attention on the partner.   After a period of silent attention, they
report to the partner any images that arose in their consciousness.   It is
uncanny what comes up!

Joelle Everett