Multi Voter Software

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Jul 2 13:19:00 PDT 2006

Here's a story I use to talk about action planning in Open Space.  THis one
is forthcoming in the next edition of "The Change Handbook":

In January 2005 under the  auspices of the federal government's Urban
Aboriginal Strategy (UAS),  275 people met in Prince George, British
Columbia, Canada to see what  could be done to meet the complex needs of the
inner city Aboriginal  community in that city of 80,000.  They used Open
Space Technology  to identify priority areas and create a consortium of
projects aimed  at making a difference in a community riddled with poverty,
violence,  addictions and health issues.

But this was no ordinary  gathering.  The 275 people included regular
citizens, youth, elders,  disabled folks, folks with mental illness, the
poor and dyslexic and  the rich and educated.

The sponsoring agencies,  a loose committee of service providers, government
and local Aboriginal  groups set the stage for the success of this event.
They decided  that the UAS should not be controlled by the existing agencies
and organizations.   To solicit community leadership, the agencies committed
to turning the  UAS over to the community.  That willingness and openness
made  a huge difference on the day.  In the pre-meeting, phrases like  "we
need new ideas to grow" and "supporting community  leadership" became
touchstones for the media campaign that formed  the invitation.  The
sponsors stated their desire to be completely  transparent in how this
process was to unfold.  They even committed  to publishing a summary of the
OST results in the local paper.   Over three weeks these messages were
repeated in local media with the  starling results.

The agenda was set within  the first hour of the day and the first of 55
discussion groups met  on a huge range of issues. By the end of the day the
group had produced  a 63 page proceedings document with summaries from 41
groups.

On day two, about 100 people  returned to work on projects.  People reviewed
the previous day's  proceedings,  space was opened again and people were
invited to  post invitations to champion new projects.  Participants were
asked  for passion to be tightly bound to responsibility on this day as
they  deliberated on how to "get it out of the room."

Project champions came forward  from a wide spectrum of experience and
background, from poor single  mothers to City councilors.  Twenty-four
project postings were  made and these convened into 19 groups addressing a
wide variety of  community issues.  All of them found support from existing
organizations  and in just one and a half hours, partnerships were made,
action plans  drafted and in some cases, goals, objectives and visions were
written.  One group became so close that when they were finished, they stood
in  a circle for a minute tightly holding hands and prayed together. All  of
this was self-organizing, all of it happened in Open Space.

Within three weeks of the  Open Space event, most of the champions had
hosted follow-up meetings  and attracted funding sponsors and other
resources.  By six weeks  after the event the project champions had formed a
collaborative decision  making body that would oversee the strategy and make
funding recommendations  to the federal government.

Reopening space for action is a very simple matter and if there is a need
for further involvement, perhaps to strategically shape the action, then you
have a ready made implementation team, like the one we had in the above
story to help you with the work.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN