Introduction to Community Weaving. August 9. Post-OSonOS workshop.

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Tue Jul 25 23:31:01 PDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

We are in the final stretch, as it were. Into the single digit
countdown to a routine blast-off into the Kosmos this time with a
satellite of Moscow make. We call this satellite Sputnik. The occasion? Just another
routine International OSonOS.

If we are to believe the emails, the phone calls and the stars, Sierra Leone,
Pakistan, Nepal, Ukraine, Sweden, Turkey, Taiwan, Australia, Russia,
Germany, Canada, and the United States will be represented. Altogether
some 40+ souls.

People will be making the journey of the hero using many kinds of
transportation. Some on majestic metallic butterflies, others will
buzz their way sweetly in over-sized jet-powered bumblebees, others
will make part of their voyage in floating monarch butterflies. Some
will simply dig their way into an anthill and get inside a metal,
electric-powered centipede, after which they will ride their way to
the Moscow House of Community Organizations (formerly the Embassy of
Cuba). And others will simply don polyester-rubber beetles on their
feet for a non-polluting blast-off into the Kosmos August 4.

Below is the announcement of the Introductory Community Weaving workshop.

More information soon.

In anticipation,
Team Moscow

Community Weaving: Weaving the fabric of community to create a more
caring, joyful, just, and civil society

Introductory Workshop on Community Weaving
Thursday, August 9, 2006
Moscow,
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Presented by: Wendy Farmer-O’Neil, Master Community Weaver with Family
    Support Network International
                    Raffi Aftandelian, essenceworks consulting group

Community Weaving is an emergent grassroots mobilization strategy that
fosters resiliency in communities and builds on the strengths and
assets of caring citizens who take responsibility for what they care
about.

Community Weaving employs the principles of asset-based community
development, social-networking, Appreciative Inquiry, self-organizing
systems theory, the gift economy, and Open Space Technology to create
a “village effect” where the needs and issues of the community are met
by the resources of the community. Supported by a unique
internet-based architecture, Community Weaving allows individuals to
easily create networks of support and care in their neighbourhoods,
organizations, and businesses.

Grassroot efforts are interwoven with formal government and NGO
programming to support, sustain, and enhance the services these
systems can provide--helping to relieve the strain on overloaded
bureaucracies and creating more humane solutions for those engaged
with these systems. Social transformation is achieved through
transforming individual lives.

Community Weaving has been recognized by the ABCD Institute and the
Institute for Civil Society as an exemplary
approach to capacity building in communities, business, and governments.

Community Weaving is featured in the new 2nd edition of The Change
Handbook: Group Methods for Shaping the Future.

Agenda
10-2  Introduction to Community Weaving concepts and practices
        Multimedia presentation with experiential exercises
2-3     Learning community lunch hour
3-7     Open Space co-learning event:  Community Weaving: Issues and Opportunities in our communities (this second half of the day will be devoted to considering how community weaving may be applicable to a Russian context)

Who should come:
Community organizers, staff of NGO’s, individuals who care about their
community, change agents, business leaders, government agency staff,
grandmothers, youth, community development workers, child protection
workers,….you!

Cost: 1.500 rubles ($50)
No one turned away for lack of funds.

Includes snacks, lunch, and handouts.