Welcome to Moscow!

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Mon Jul 24 05:26:53 PDT 2006

Dear participants of the 14th Annual International Open Space on Open
Space Conference,

Welcome to Moscow!

In less than two weeks we will be meeting in Moscow at the Moscow House of
Community Organizations (previously known as the Embassy of Cuba)!

The OSonOS organizing team and local OST faciliators and friends of Open
Space anxiously await your coming to what is possibly Eurasia’s smallest,
friendliest, and best-tended hamlet!

We will be sending out information in the next week with more final
information about pre- and post-OSonOS planned activities.

Below, we would like to address some practical matters concerning your
stay in Moscow and with OSonOS participation.

Practical issues
a. Moscow Arrival

1. Visa registration- A reminder that upon arrival in Moscow you will be
expected to register your visa at the hotel you are staying with three
days. It is essential to do so to avoid fines and difficulties with the
police. If you will be staying in a private home, please let us know upon
arrival.

2. Accommodation- We will be getting back to those who we have promised
private apartment accommodation at the homes of local OST facilitators in
the coming week.

3. Arrival information- Some participants have already sent us their
arrival information and contact information in Moscow. Please send this
information to Raffi Aftandelian as soon as you have an opportunity. If
you do not know how you can get to your hotel via taxi from the airport,
there are taxi services at the airport. Also you might consider looking at
http://www.openspaceworld.ru/practical.html to reacqauint yourselves with
the practical information concerning your stay in Moscow. Doing so may
help you to make the most of your time here. I highly recommend reading
the information about Moscow and Russia at www.waytorussia.net

4. Money- We recommend that you bring with you the sum in cash (USD or
euros) that you intend to spend during your time here. 30-50 USD/day is
enough for getting about town, meals, and perhaps purchasing some small
gifts.

b. OSonOS

1. Registration fee payment- Some participants will be making the
registration fee payment at the conference in cash. Registration fee is
best payable in rubles. The full fee is 300 USD. Currently the USD-Russian
ruble rate is approximately 26.7 rubles to the dollar. Again, if you will
be paying at the conference itself, we can only provide an unofficial
receipt. Access Queen and OSI-USA recipients, feel free to contact us via
email should you have any questions.

2. International Silent Auction and Global Village Marketplace- Continuing
the OSonOS tradition (thank you Access Queen Lisa Heft!), we will be
running an international silent auction and Global Village Marketplace.
If you would like to sell your or your village's art, books, fabric,
toys...
to raise money for -either- the Access Queen fund -or- to help defray your
own expenses for traveling to OSonOS.
Bring it to OSonOS to sell at our Global Village Marketplace!
Join our international Silent Auction!
If you have something to offer, either services (consultation hours over
the phone?  A cabin in the woods someone can visit for a week?  A massage
you will provide to an OSonOS'er before s/he leaves the minuscule village
of Moscow)
or items (some art that you or someone in your village has made?  a ticket
to an event or dinner for two in Moscow an OSer can buy and enjoy?)
Please bring them to OSonOS for the international Silent Auction.
We shall set up a table upon which we can place our items - you may wish
to make a card that explains/identifies your item and we'll figure out any
bidding process when we get there.
For those of you sending items - anything we don't 'sell' we'll eat or use
on site before we leave so don't send anything you need back.
3. Natural objects- We would like to invite you to bring several found
natural objects from near your home to the OSonOS. These might be leaves,
twigs, stones, feathers...More on this during the OSonOS.

4. Global Cuisine Evening- On one of the evenings of the OSonOS, we will
hold a global cuisine evening. We are proud to introduce this
Intertraining annual conference tradition to the OSonOS. This will be an
opportunity to share food and beverages from your country or village. We
invite you to bring a dish or beverage to share.

5. August 3rd get-together- The plan at this point is that anyone who
cares to join us in the first half of the day is welcome to come to the
Moscow House of Community Organizations at 40 Mosfilmovskaya St. (10
minute drive from Kievskaya Metro Station) to help prepare the space. That
evening we will have an informal gathering at an as-yet unannounced
location.

6. Whalewatching- The OSonOS in Halifax began a tradition of whalewatching
prior to the OSonOS. We are still looking into the exciting possibilities
of the Moscow equivalent. We promise more information soon!

7. Gifts- Russia has a delightful tradition of exchanging small gifts. You
might want to bring some small things that represent your village to give
as gifts.

8. Community Weaving Workshop- Wendy Farmer-O’Neil will be offering a one
day Community Weaving introductory workshop August 9th. A full
announcement will be available soon. Workshop cost: 50 USD. Working
languages: Russian and English.

9. Personal preparation for the OSonOS- Some people have inquired about
what to expect at an OSonOS and how best to prepare. One answer: Bring
Yourself. Fully. You might also want to acquaint yourself with the
proceedings from previous OSonOSes at

Should you have any questions as the clock is ticking, do not hesitate to
contact us!

In anticipation and “do vstrechi” (“until we meet”),

The OSonOS XIV Organizing Team
Galina Tsarkova (gala_tsar_kova at mail.ru)
Mikhail Pronin (virtus at mail.ru)
Raffi Aftandelian (raffi at bk.ru, raffi_1970 at yahoo.com,