OSLIST Digest - 10 Jul 2006 to 11 Jul 2006 (#2006-181)

Patricia Black patblack at paulbunyan.net
Wed Jul 12 06:09:21 PDT 2006

We always have evening news before dinner and people usually plan and post
evening activities which can include evening gathering away from the hotel or if
you are in a remote area take advantage of the environment.  You can invite
naturalist from the area to come and make a presentation, plan an evening walk
or sail if there is water, have and outdoor fire etc.
Pat Black
Hello all

I am planning an OS for a conference that will involve about 80 people
staying a beautiful hotel in the country for 3.5 days.  Day 1  will probably
be lectures and workshops.  Days 2 - 4 will be an Open Space, and we will
probably opt to have one theme or question for this entire period, leading
to some kind of action planing on Day 4.

My question is what to do with the evenings of Day 2 and 3, after supper.
Should we have "evening news" before supper, suggesting that our day's work
is over?  Should we schedule social events for these evenings?  Or should we
keep the space "fully open" and have breakout slots in the evening?   In
other words, in an ongoing Open Space, when participants are residential,
when is the day done?