OST for schools & with children

Jennifer Hurley jlhurley at hfadesign.com
Thu Jul 6 09:17:31 PDT 2006

Hello everyone.  I may be holding space for a group looking at school design issues.  The group will include architects, parents, and teachers, and will be exploring the issues in general (not designing a particular school).  I know many people have posted resources and links here before.  Could someone point me in the direction of resources about:

1. OST with children

2. OST around architectural design issues

3. OST related to schools

Thanks so much!
Jennifer Hurley

=====================
Hurley~Franks & Associates
Planning & Urban Design
215-988-9440
http://www.hfadesign.com
1429 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102

>From  Thu Jul  6 10:33:43 2006
< Hello everyone.  I may be holding space for a group looking at school
design issues.  The group will include architects, parents, and =
teachers,
and will be exploring the issues in general (not designing a particular
school).  I know many people have posted resources and links here =
before.
Could someone point me in the direction of resources about: 1. OST with
children 2. OST around architectural design issues 3. OST related to
schools>

=20

I have been collecting OS stories for a database I am building that you =
all
will one day be able to access for these questions.  I will divide this =
into
2 separate emails with adjusted titles in case anyone tries to find =
these
topics in the future in our archives.  First: with schools (and I know
Thomas and others have great stories to add, and I shall collect those =
too
for this resource I am building=85

=20

Toke wrote:

=20

2 schools in central Copenhagen have existed for 2 generations - they =
are
next door to each other - but has never cooperated and has developed 2
different cultures - now some courageous politicians finally decided =
that
they must become one school...

=20

So we used open space for that ... 6 1/2 hour on a Saturday - 110 people
showed up from both  schools - 15 pupils many from the pupils councils, =
60
teachers, and 35 parents.....

=20

The kindergarten classes had made large drawings on how they saw the new
school - this adorned the 2 sport halls that was the frame of the =
process...
we checked into the days with the band from 5 grade playing "oye como =
va" -
Santana song - then we team played with a tennis ball game - with much
laughter and innovation

- and then opening space with 2 rounds and a medicine wheel council in =
the
end.

=20

They realized they not only could but that they enjoyed working
together....the new school community was  created...and now they know =
they
can do together...

they were truly surprised=85 it is such a pleasure and necessity to =
involve
the children in creating their own future learning environments...

=20

Toke Paludan M=F8ller  toke at INTERCHANGE.DK

=20

=20

=20

Cheers, Lisa

___________________________

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e

lisaheft at openingspace.net

www.openingspace.net=20

=20

=20

=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C6A0E7.ABAC8EA0

<head>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS";}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 115.65pt 1.0in 115.6pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-style:italic'>< Hello
everyone.=A0 I may be holding space for a group looking at school design =
issues.=A0
The group will include architects, parents, and teachers, and will be =
exploring
the issues in general (not designing a particular school).=A0 I know =
many people
have posted resources and links here before.=A0 Could someone point me =
in the
direction of resources about: 1. OST with children 2. OST around =
architectural

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>I have been collecting OS stories for a database I am building =
that you
all will one day be able to access for these questions.=A0 I will divide =
this
into 2 separate emails with adjusted titles in case anyone tries to find =
these
topics in the future in our archives.=A0 First: with schools (and I know =
Thomas
and others have great stories to add, and I shall collect those too for =
this

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>2 schools in central Copenhagen have existed for 2 generations - =
they
are next door to each other - but has never cooperated and has developed =
2
different cultures - now some courageous politicians finally decided =
that they

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>So we used open space for that ... 6 1/2 hour on a Saturday - =
110
people showed up from both=A0 schools - 15 pupils many from the pupils =
councils,

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>The kindergarten classes had made large drawings on how they saw =
the
new school - this adorned the 2 sport halls that was the frame of the
process... we checked into the days with the band from 5 grade playing =
"oye
como va" - Santana song - then we team played with a tennis ball =
game -

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>- and then opening space with 2 rounds and a medicine wheel =
council in

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>They realized they not only could but that they enjoyed working
together....the new school community was=A0 created...and now they know =
they can

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>they were truly surprised… it is such a pleasure and =
necessity to
involve the children in creating their own future learning =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Toke Paludan M=F8ller=A0 <a =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

lang=3DES-MX

lang=3DES-MX

lang=3DES-MX

lang=3DES-MX

lang=3DES-MX

style=3D'font-size:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C6A0E7.ABAC8EA0--

>From  Thu Jul  6 10:37:12 2006
< Hello everyone.  I may be holding space for a group looking at school
design issues.  The group will include architects, parents, and =
teachers,
and will be exploring the issues in general (not designing a particular
school).  I know many people have posted resources and links here =
before.
Could someone point me in the direction of resources about: 1. OST with
children 2. OST around architectural design issues 3. OST related to
schools>

=20

As I mentioned in my earlier email, I have been collecting OS stories =
for a
database I am building that you all will one day be able to access for =
these
questions.  I have divided my response to Jennifer into 2 separate =
emails
with adjusted titles in case anyone tries to find these topics in the =
future
in our archives.  The first was for using OS with schools. This 2nd part =
of
my message shares with you how some of our colleagues have used OS with
architects and the organizations or communities they have been working =
with.

=20

Joelle wrote:

=20

I have been working with an organization which is preparing to move to a =
new
building.  In this case, the building design was already finished (with =
much
staff participation in the design process).

=20

About the time ground was broken for the construction, the entire staff =
was
invited to an all-day Open Space convened to discuss the challenges
presented by this move.  Groups quickly self-organized to plan the
allocation of storage space, work out how to be comfortable with the =
change
to open offices with cubicles, talk about the changes in work =
relationships
that would come with bringing together staff from two offices, security
concerns about the isolated rural site, and the generalized grief that
always comes with change.

=20

Today, the building is taking shape (and it is beautiful!), task groups =
that
came together at the OS are continuing to plan the various changes that =
will
be required, managers are covering people's jobs so that =
newly-constituted
work groups can design their own new jobs and working relationships.  It =
has
been wonderful to watch this organization move from griefs and concerns =
ownership and excitement!

=20

Joelle Everett   JLEShelton at aol.com=20

=20

Harrison wrote:

Some time ago, Virginia Burt, a Landscape Architect from Canada began =
the
practice of using Open Space as the introductory element for her
consultations with clients. Initially, she did this with Birgit =
Williams,
and I am not sure whether she continues the practice - but her stories =
were
marvelous. I remember in particular one in which Virginia had the =
assignment
to do the park/garden for a/the Canadian Military College, This was a =
large
project covering multiple acres, and apparently it had been under =
intense
discussion for years, and not very productively. As I recall, she said =
that
is was normal to spend several years on a project with multiple changes =
and
no small amount of hard feelings all around. With Open Space, the design
time shrank to 6 months with few if any changes. And changes in design, =
once
the project has started are what drive everybody crazy, if only because =
they
inevitably drive up costs and time required to produce a finished =
product.

=20

Harrison Owen  hhowen at verizon.net =20

=20

Birgitt wrote:

=20

The actual turnaround time for the landscape architect design back to =
the
client after the OST meeting was only 40 days (incredible when compared =
the two years it usually took). When the client was presented with the =
plan,
95% of it was immediately approved (again almost unheard of in that
industry). To read about the OST process that was designed for Virginia =
do her magic as a landscape architect, go to
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/articles/landscape.html   The article =
has
a lot of tips on how to design an OST meeting when a specialty such as a
landscape master plan is to be the end product. In this situation, the
Military were the client, AND Virginia was my client. If the OST meeting =
had
not generated enough data for Virginia to do her work, she would have =
been
in difficulty with her client, the Military because she would have been
unable to deliver on our promise of a quick turn around time.

=20

Two years after this OST meeting and the final approved landscape master
plan, I was leading a workshop in another part of the country. Michael =
(a
participant) said he had a story to tell. He told us that when he was
getting ready to attend the workshop, he explained where he was going to =
his
elderly father, assuming his father would not be able to grasp OST
(especially since his father was a very traditional military man who =
liked
order). As Michael was explaining to his father, the father said "I know
what this OST is. I was in one of those meetings at the military =
college.
And it sure produced results." Michael then told us that a few weeks =
before,
his father had been the one to lead the military parade in the opening
ceremony of a new archway on the property---the master plan for the
landscape had been followed and Michael's father was very proud of it =
all,
including his participation at the meeting where they came up with all =
the
ideas. And he was full of praise for the efficiency of the process of =
OST to
get them where they needed to go, and without conflict.

=20

Birgitt Williams  birgitt at dalarinternational.com =20

=20

Zelle wrote:

=20

My experience with Open Space and an architect/design project is =
actually
from a project I worked on with BP in Scotland. The 60 person business =
unit
I was working with was moving from one part of the building complex to
another (most would agree the space they were moving into was the worst
space in the building). I started with an Open Space Visioning meeting =
where
in addition to the usual markers and paper for Open Space I added =
magazines
(design, nature, home furnishings, etc.) a big roll of paper, scissors, =
and
glue. I invited the group to talk about what they envisioned the ideal =
work
space to be and to cut out pictures from the magazines, use words, and
pictures to create a collage of what the new space might feel like.=20

=20

We took this collage, along with the results from the Open Space and =
shared
this with the architects and designers (the designers/architects were
invited to be at the visioning Open Space) assigned to the project. Some
incredible ideas that I could never have thought of on my own, along =
with
the many concerns about moving to "the worst space in the building" were
folded into the design process which also took into account budget
constraints and site needs/requests.

=20

The design team then came back with a design for the new work space =
(which
included skylights and a "yellow brick road" gleaned from the first Open
Space). We took these sketches/blue prints and went back into Open Space
with cut out furniture options and pencil and paper. Each team then =
looked
at the areas available and filled in the design details specific to =
their
needs. Conversation and negotiation took place between the different =
teams
and a consensus design was reached.

=20

The final result was an exceptional work space that was loved by the
business unit and the "worst space" in the building is now considered =
the
best place to be.

=20

Along the way, I worked with individuals and teams around learning how =
create places that work for them instead of trying to fit into someone
else's design. I gave them, tools and a language to find the best mix
between personal and team needs.

=20

I have a digital story (mini movie) which describes the process and the
transformation in more detail. If you would like to see that I could =
send it
to you. You could also visit my website www.knowplacelikehome.com
<http://www.knowplacelikehome.com/>    to find out more.

=20

Zelle Nelson  zelle at knowplacelikehome.com=20

=20

=20

=20

I shall collect the rest of the stories you share on these topics, my
colleagues, and add them to the growing resource I am growing.

=20

Cheers, Lisa

___________________________

lisaheft at openingspace.net=20

www.openingspace.net <http://www.openingspace.net/>  =20

=20

=20

=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C6A0E8.28D0B0A0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
[...]

10.0pt'>As I mentioned in my earlier email, I have been collecting OS =
stories
for a database I am building that you all will one day be able to access =
for
these questions.  I have divided my response to Jennifer into 2 =
separate emails
with adjusted titles in case anyone tries to find these topics in the =
future in
our archives.  The first was for using OS with schools. This =
2<sup>nd</sup> part
of my message shares with you how some of our colleagues have used OS =
with architects
and the organizations or communities they have been working =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>I have been working with an organization which is preparing to =
move to
a new building.  In this case, the building design was already =
finished (with

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>About the time ground was broken for the construction, the =
entire staff
was invited to an all-day Open Space convened to discuss the challenges
presented by this move.  Groups quickly self-organized to plan the =
allocation
of storage space, work out how to be comfortable with the change to open
offices with cubicles, talk about the changes in work relationships that =
would
come with bringing together staff from two offices, security concerns =
about the
isolated rural site, and the generalized grief that always comes with =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Today, the building is taking shape (and it is beautiful!), task =
groups
that came together at the OS are continuing to plan the various changes =
that
will be required, managers are covering people's jobs so that =
newly-constituted
work groups can design their own new jobs and working =
relationships.  It has
been wonderful to watch this organization move from griefs and concerns =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Joelle Everett   <a =
href=3D"mailto:JLEShelton at aol.com">JLEShelton at aol.com</a>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Some time ago, Virginia Burt, a Landscape Architect from Canada =
[...]

10.0pt'>Harrison Owen  <a =
href=3D"mailto:hhowen at verizon.net">hhowen at verizon.net</a>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>The actual turnaround time for the landscape architect design =
back to
the client after the OST meeting was only 40 days (incredible when =
compared to
the two years it usually took). When the client was presented with the =
plan,
95% of it was immediately approved (again almost unheard of in that =
industry).
To read about the OST process that was designed for Virginia to do her =
magic as
a landscape architect, go to <a
href=3D"http://www.openspacetechnology.com/articles/landscape.html">http:=
//www.openspacetechnology.com/articles/landscape.html</a>
  The article has a lot of tips on how to design an OST =
meeting when a
specialty such as a landscape master plan is to be the end product. In =
this
situation, the Military were the client, AND Virginia was my client. If =
the OST
meeting had not generated enough data for Virginia to do her work, she =
would
have been in difficulty with her client, the Military because she would =
have
been unable to deliver on our promise of a quick turn around =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Two years after this OST meeting and the final approved =
[...]

10.0pt'>Birgitt Williams  <a =
href=3D"mailto:birgitt at dalarinternational.com">birgitt at dalarinternational=
.com</a>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>My experience with Open Space and an architect/design project is
[...]

10.0pt'>We took this collage, along with the results from the Open Space =
and
shared this with the architects and designers (the designers/architects =
were
invited to be at the visioning Open Space) assigned to the project. Some
incredible ideas that I could never have thought of on my own, along =
with the
many concerns about moving to "the worst space in the =
building" were
folded into the design process which also took into account budget =
constraints

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>The design team then came back with a design for the new work =
space
(which included skylights and a "yellow brick road" gleaned =
from the
first Open Space). We took these sketches/blue prints and went back into =
Open
Space with cut out furniture options and pencil and paper. Each team =
then looked
at the areas available and filled in the design details specific to =
their
needs. Conversation and negotiation took place between the different =
teams and

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>The final result was an exceptional work space that was loved by =
the
business unit and the "worst space" in the building is now =
considered

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Along the way, I worked with individuals and teams around =
learning how
to create places that work for them instead of trying to fit into =
someone
else's design. I gave them, tools and a language to find the best mix =
between

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>I have a digital story (mini movie) which describes the process =
and the
transformation in more detail. If you would like to see that I could =
send it to
you. You could also visit my website <a =
href=3D"http://www.knowplacelikehome.com/">www.knowplacelikehome.com</a>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Zelle Nelson  <a =
href=3D"mailto:zelle at knowplacelikehome.com">zelle at knowplacelikehome.com</=
a>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>I shall collect the rest of the stories you share on these =
topics, my
colleagues, and add them to the growing resource I am =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size: