OST for schools & with children

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Jul 6 10:33:43 PDT 2006

Hi, Jennifer -

Jennifer wrote:

< Hello everyone.  I may be holding space for a group looking at school
design issues.  The group will include architects, parents, and teachers,
and will be exploring the issues in general (not designing a particular
school).  I know many people have posted resources and links here before.
Could someone point me in the direction of resources about: 1. OST with
children 2. OST around architectural design issues 3. OST related to
schools>

I have been collecting OS stories for a database I am building that you all
will one day be able to access for these questions.  I will divide this into
2 separate emails with adjusted titles in case anyone tries to find these
topics in the future in our archives.  First: with schools (and I know
Thomas and others have great stories to add, and I shall collect those too
for this resource I am building

Toke wrote:

2 schools in central Copenhagen have existed for 2 generations - they are
next door to each other - but has never cooperated and has developed 2
different cultures - now some courageous politicians finally decided that
they must become one school...

So we used open space for that ... 6 1/2 hour on a Saturday - 110 people
showed up from both  schools - 15 pupils many from the pupils councils, 60
teachers, and 35 parents.....

The kindergarten classes had made large drawings on how they saw the new
school - this adorned the 2 sport halls that was the frame of the process...
we checked into the days with the band from 5 grade playing "oye como va" -
Santana song - then we team played with a tennis ball game - with much
laughter and innovation

- and then opening space with 2 rounds and a medicine wheel council in the
end.

They realized they not only could but that they enjoyed working
together....the new school community was  created...and now they know they
can do together...

they were truly surprised
 it is such a pleasure and necessity to involve
the children in creating their own future learning environments...

Toke Paludan Møller  toke at INTERCHANGE.DK

Cheers, Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e