Open Space and conflict resolution

Funda Oral fundaoral at ttnet.net.tr
Sat Jul 1 23:41:25 PDT 2006

Dear Sirin,

Yes i would be very happy to answer your questions but what i will do is to also forward your message
to our OSList where there are about 400 OST practitioners as members. Many of them who are much more experienced then me
in this area and in the use of OST in conflict resolution can answer to your questions whenever you need.

In my MA dissertation, I investigate the use of Open Space Technology as a means to revitalise and combine traditional conflict resolution techniques in protracted conflicts (i.e. the problem-solving approach). I argue that a complementary use of techniques enhances the chances for genuine conflict transformation.

"genuine conflict transformation"....why to say genuine? isn't every conflict is genuine?...i think every conflict is genuine at least for those who are in conflict. If genuine is an adjective for transformation....then i agree there is genuine and false transformation.

I think conflict "transformation" is a much better expression then conflict "resolution".

My aim is to shed light on opportunities for closer collaboration, and improved communication, among peacemakers.

yes i think so but not only among peacemakers but among as many stakeholders as posssible.

However since conflict is an intrinsic part of life, it can and should never be eliminated.

Yes...Harrison Owen also says so in "practice of peace"  book.

"..... Open Space is mostly used in organisational settings, in Western countries or within smaller communities" ...........

That's not quite true....i remember Zachary Metz from Colombia University using OST in Iraq
Peggy Holmann used it in Colombia for 2000 street kids (http://www.opencirclecompany.com/papers.htm)

My dream is that OST becomes one of the first emergency tools to be sent to any conflict area by UN or Red Cross or by anybody
in charge and responsible.

I am  very glad to hear from you and wish you all the success with your dissertation and i also hope your dissertation
brings improvement and success to those of us working in this field.

Best regards,
Funda Oral