Healthy Communities (was Keepin' Busy)

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 25 20:07:12 PST 2006

Dear Diane and all:
I am attempting to re-connect and follow-up with the northern folks
mentioned in the paper (coalition builders)... I will advise / connect as
soon as I'm able.

I agree with the regional coalition building challenges you (Diane) cite
below.... That has been my experience as well.

When successful, I've noticed that the group is comprised of secure
individuals and organizations - not necessarily big or well funded but
definitely displaying qualities of OS - open enough to actually
be/hear/learn/assert themselves with others without defensiveness. I've
noticed that some group seem to arrive at this via CRISIS and others via the
sort of leadership we promoted in the school...  They also seem to be / have
one or more of the following:
~ some issue they want/need to address
~ some need they must meet (ex. collaborating in order to reduce costs
and/or secure more funding)
~ deeply committed to a big/global sort of a cause - sometimes directly
expressed in their work and sometimes their work is one aspect of this
larger story

A recently new experience (and still in progress) involves connecting women
and women's organizations from across Canada in different coalitions - via
ICTs (information communication technologies, ex. everything from phones to
online/email to videoconferencing).
Interestingly, the actual work is about promoting women's rights and
informing public policy on related issues, along with increasing knowledge
concerning and reducing the exploitation of women via ICTs !! I love the
metaphor of using the weapon to grow flowers... We're also connecting
internationally. I am excited to see what develops over this next year...
Should anyone be interested, I would be happy to see if you can't be added
to our ezine subscription list and database for inviting to online
collaborative meetings... We do, indeed, have a plan to do an online OS :-)

Let's keep in touch on the federal research / community capacity building
project I mentioned previously as well! I'll scan my memory and records too
for other examples of OS and multi-sector community-based work

Thanks also for the links to the papers - can't wait to dig in...
Glory :-)