goal or tool

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Thu Jan 19 14:33:53 PST 2006

filiz,

i do as harrison does, and i am guessing not saying much about these
other stories even, not much about open space at all, except how to
get on with it for whatever the purpose at hand might be.  that's in
an actual open space event.  most i might do is at the end point out
how it happened, invitation, invitation list, some logistics planning
and some thought on how to support after the meeting.   implicit in
that is the suggestion that they might go out and repeat it if they
like.  no missionary stuff... just pointing out after the fact that it
really is as simple as it looks.

now, in training, i tell the story as a practice, like i did earlier.
and i also tell it as invitation.  i often suggest people take it like
other teachers suggest meditation... if you can do 2.5 days, do that.
if you can only do 1.0 days, do that and then you'll get a benefit and
will be more likely to be able to do 2.5 days.  if you choose.  if you
can't do 'open space' then do 'bulletin board' and 'marketplace (two
feet)'  or try just doing circle.

in the end, i am quite sure that opening heart is all that is required
and the rest will take care of itself in so many ways.  so more and
more i try to focus on just that much.

coming back to your question, i say:  practice AND invitation, if i
picked to words.  never goal.  and tool only as long as it takes to
prove to oneself and one's colleagues that it is worth taking up as a
deeper and ongoing practice.  or not.

thanks for the chance to tell some of this recent story and working.

michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates