Keepin' Busy

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Tue Jan 10 10:35:28 PST 2006

Hi guys!

Well yes it happened!! I've been pretty busy too.  on 7/8 Jan I
convened Open space for 200 people in the theatre community. From
Highly influential theatre elders to young students an amazing time
was had. Lots and lots to say but in the moment. Just to let you know
it was an amazing, awesome, fantastic, moving success!! Can't begin
to tell you all the stuff that comes from this but most of all a
feeling of coming home for the first time in my own community. Our
150 page report is already online and I have never had such amazing
feedback for an event. So many letters and emails in the last day
about people feeling hopeful for the first time. Thanks so much for
your support around this. I had an amazing time. and.... it's just
the beginning

Lots of love

Phelim

www.improbable.co.uk

  Devoted and disgruntled

What are we going to do about theatre?

THE SESSIONS CONVENED WERE HELD ON THESE ISSUES:

1: ISSUES WHAT ISSUES?

2: Theatre can compete with film as an exciting artform (get more
people out of cinemas and into theatres.

3: MONEY MONEY MONEY (WORKING FOR FREE)

4: How to get more people into theatres.

5:“straight” theatre & “made/devised” theatre – creating a
conversation about and between.

6: Are we European? Can we learn anything from the rest of Europe or
elsewhere?

7: CRISIS IN LONDON VENUES

8: HEALING THEATRE: The origin of theatre in the cave, connected to
health and survival.

9: RACIALLY INTEGRATED THEATRE

10:  Why don’t we share useful information with each other?

11: Theatre for all the senses.

12: America

13: HOW CAN THEATRE LEARN FROM OTHER, MORE SUCCESSFUL FORMS OF
CULTURAL EXPRESSION?

14:Actors as global citizens addressing global issues

15:The Primacy of Perception

16:How can we dissolve disciplines and Hierarchy in the established
theatre.?

17: Where is all the “provocative” street theatre?

18: Should We Measure Artistic Success and if so, How?

19: How to get more disabled people into theatre

20 :Do I have to devote my time to administration, producing,
funding, funding, funding…. To create art?

21:New Forum where Conventional Theatre meets Community Theatre

22:Women

23:Entrepreneurial and savvy theatre

24: What puts you off going to the theatre?

25:How Being Marginalised Can Be Celebrated and Used to Good Effect

26: Too Many Careerists Have Spoiled Our Broth.

27: OPEN UP SPACE SO THAT MORE PEOPLE CAN HAVE A GO.

28: Why is there still such a division between the mainstream and the
experimental?

29: Why do you need to go to college to do theatre?

30: Audience...

31: Money / Funding /  Producers

32: Is theatre all about contacts or can you make it on your own?

33:Use of the Theatre-Making Process in Personal, Social and
Organisational Development

34: Is theatre all about contacts or can you make it on your own?

35: Why do we need a separate theatre for Black work?

36:The Mainstream does not exist

37: Where are the Women Protagonists?

38: How can we establish mentoring systems for theatre practitioners?

39: Less Actors; More Practitioners

40: What positive relationships can exist between film and theatre?

41: Is the written play a dying form? And if so, what can we do to
revive it?

42: Censorship are there things that we should not be allowed to do/
say on stage?

43: Directors sharing skills and working practices.

44: Where is the archive for socially engaged practice?

45: Relationship between artist and audience

46: How do we take ‘it’ to the outside world?

47:How can we create more quality experiences of theatre for children
and young people?

48: Not knowing what group to belong to.

49: Where are we at Now? (How does this Influence where we are Going?)

50:How do we break up cliques and stop the same people getting all
the work?

51: IS THEATRE REALLY NECESSARY?

52: Mentor registration form.

53: Who profits from theatre?

54: THEATRICAL THEATRE

55: Making directors work harder to make auditions for actors worth
the train fare.

56: What can audiences do?

57: Conflict Management

58: Who We Fancy In The Room

59: TO GET NEW AUDIENCES INTERESTED IN EXPERIMENTAL THEATRE

60: How can practitioners who work with people with challenging and
volatile behaviours be better prepared and supported?

61: I still feel like an outsider.

62:Theatre for Adults & Children / Get Them When They’re Young.

63: : In The Absence of a Union how can we lobby DCMS/ACE etc

64: We make too much shit theatre and that’s why people don’t come.
How can we raise the bar?

65: Making a space/place for continued play/learning/development

66: Is theatre speaking to ‘real’, people?

67: Can theatre be more than a profession

68: What is a director and do we need them anyway?

69: Pimp Theatre for Pissheads

70: Working Class Audiences

71: Issues Facing Mankind : Future Shock : Man and the Machine – Can
Theatre Help Us Deal With Change?

72: Benefits and Pitfalls of ensemble working methods.

73: What would happen if there were no proscenium arch theatres for
15 years?

74: More play, less plays

75: Spiritual Theatre in a Materialistic Age

76: WHAT ARE WE DEVOTED TO?

77: Positive discrimination-yes or no?

78: WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE REPLACED CRITICS (OR KILLED THEM)?

79: Why are the only black people here serving coffee? What does this
mean?

awaiting reports:

80):Puppetry isn’t just for children.   Smiley count:@

81):The issue on hearing/non-hearing audiences and the role/
integration of the Interpreter (I don't know the exact title of it)

82): Selected images

83): Making Relationships between venues and between companies and
venues. SC:@@

84): Is there a better way for theatre to be distributed locally,
nationally and internationally? SC:@

85) Why aren’t we working constantly and being paid?

86) Is wanting to be an actor enough?

87) Being a “Regularly Funded Organisation”- Ultimate goal for a
theatre company?

89) What would happen if we closed all proscenium arch theatres for
fifteen years?