Stories that moved you, stories that could change the world

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 9 19:44:53 PST 2006

Doug:
I appreciate your reply...

I truly have no contention with any 'oppositional' position and, in fact,
seek to see the wisdom and truth inherent in any and all stories that I may
notice... particularly ones that might raise my hair! ;-)

I simply noticed that the other side was largely missing from the public
dialogue and intuitively (as you so intuitively picked up on as well :-)
yearned to hear the other polarity... In making space for both we expand the
whole, no?  I also intentionally added the word 'transcendent' - in
recognition that the ideal story would include and transcend any existing
polarities - IMHO.

My comment as to the abundance of oppositional stories is both a personal
observation and, I believe, well documented in sociological and
communication research that in north american pop culture and media  we seem
especially fascinated with stories (and video games) pitting polarities
against each other - looking for easy and clear answers and an identified
hero or winner. In  orgs, I see this manifested as fixation on the
bad/incompetent/corrupt 'other' who is preventing development, etc...

In psychological terms, this represents the adolescent stage of development.
Full maturity comes, as you imply, when we are able to see that both you and
I are heroes and bad guys alike and that the answer is somehow messier,
complicated and more elegantly simple, beautiful and moving... If its an
answer at all or yet another wave on the ebb of life change. :-)

So my own question is seeking its answer in me... and I think the stories
that move me the most are ones where a whole group shifts in some new,
interesting or surprising way....

It may be the entire org or a sub-group but it's this action of
exploring/deciding/acting, consciously and intelligently, together that
really excites me. I also believe the mini-narratives within this frame
(where people have ah ha moments or emotional breakthroughs) are very
important to tell as well because they give hope and heart to others.

I place all these stories within a larger story wherein, in respect and
honour for life, the species is learning to co-operate and co-evolve -
seeing and accepting response-ability for our divinity expressed in our
ability to co-create or co-destruct.

Your poem offered to Florian inspired me to share the following poem - from
Tom Atlee (Co-Intelligence Institute):
FEELING OUR WAY WITH PATIENCE

Above all,
     trust in the slow work of our evolving world.

We are, quite naturally, impatient in everything
     to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient on the way to
      something unknown, something new.

Yet it is the law of all progress
      that it is made by passing through
        some stages of instability
           and that it may take a very long time.

Ideas and opportunities often grow gradually...
      Let them grow!
      Let them shape themselves without undue haste.
Don't try to force them on, as though you could be today what time
      (that is to say, grace and circumstances acting on your own goodwill)
           will make you tomorrow.

Only the unfolding of evolution can tell you what this new spirit
      gradually growing within you, will be.
Listen to your center and the world and know
      that tomorrow's dream for you is leading you.

Accept the anxiety of being
           in suspense
           and incomplete,
for, indeed, you -- miraculously
      unfolding within the Great Unfolding --
          will always be becoming
             your part of the next Miracle...

[Author note: This was inspired by an alleged quote from evolutionary
anthropologist Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, sent to me today by Norma
T. Bauer (who made it poetry) and repeated on the web in a number of
places with no references.  Most of the words are taken directly from
the quote, but I have revised and added to it here and there to help
it fit this use.  Thus it, too, is an evolutionary product, and
filled with unknowns... -- Tom Atlee]

Best wishes,
Glory