Stories that moved you, stories that could change the world

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 9 08:19:35 PST 2006

Hello all:
Thanks for the great story question Doug!

Florian's email made me think that the action (inherent in story,
self-organization and OS and OST, I think) is in CHOOSING to see a story in
a certain way.... especially in circumstances where another choice might be
apparent or even more common. Or even stories that illustrate an
interesting, surprising or curious turn of events.  For example, that moment
when the tension in the Israelis and Palestinians story peaked and then
abated... Or that example where the bank VP - in an extremely ethical,
transparent and honest move -  decided to quit the day after he experienced
OS. Even more so - making the open space for the range of stories to emerge
and then trusting that self-organization works. Stories about that.

For me, it is in these storied places that I see the real flow of what I
think we're on about here... For me, influencing the world is about
consciously choosing what story/ies I choose to see, make space for, accept,
integrate, etc...

I am also personally grappling with the following story problem:
Given the success, recently, of the story of the religious right and the
politically conservative AND the abundance of cataclysmic, oppositional
(good/evil) stories AND
what we know about open space, self-organization etc...
What is/are the compelling counter and transcendent story/ies?

Further, how does this apply or relate to organizational/community
development work?
To evolution of social or group consciousness (collective intelligence)?

Jeepers - it seems I'm starting off 2006 inspired by all you of to think
deep thoughts.... :-)

Glory