Experience with diverse cultures participating in OST?

ORT MARIA ptnrsmrt at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 28 14:21:27 PST 2006

Hello OST Listserv Guru's,

Happily, I have the opportunity to OS with the Arizona Refugee Resettlement
Program next month. It will be my first opportunity for a 2-day OS (the
other three have been just 1 day events, so I am fairly new at it). The
State Agency is hosting a retreat for 30 representatives from both state &
federally funded Arizona organizations as well as volunteer groups that
serve specific refugee ethnicities or cultures.  Somalis, Sudanese,
Bosnians, Muslims and Jews will be participating. All speak and write
English fluently.

My question: Are there adaptions required to the OS process? In general, I
know that Muslims prefer to separate men and women in meetings (example: if
there are any "juicers/energizer" activities, Muslim women can hold each
others hands, but not a males hand). I'm aware of dietary restrictions for
meals served at the retreat. However, I am ignorant of any adaptations to
the OS process that might be required to make it a welcoming and appropriate
space.

Many thanks, Maria Ort
Scottsdale, AZ