Leadership School for Non-Profit Sector indo

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 25 17:07:45 PST 2006

Hi to all:
Elena - you should be able to find many articles and resources on non-profit
leadership at all the links below! Good luck and let me know if I can help
further...
Diane - I'll address your coalition related inquiry in a separate email.
Harrison - thanks for the reminder not to hide my light... :-)

You can find the full text of the article that I wrote, which more
specifically refers to the use of story and OST at the original schools at
the following url:
http://www.edgeofavalon.com/index.php?screen=disparticle&article=65

Background Info:
The Leadership School was an initiative of the Voluntary Sector Initiative
in Canada.(English version - http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/eng/index.cfm, French
version - http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/fr/index.cfm) The Voluntary Sector
Initiative (VSI) was a unique undertaking between the Government of Canada
and the non-profit sector to enhance their relationship and strengthen the
sector's capacity. Over the five year initiative they were working together
to address issues including funding practices, policy dialogue, technology,
volunteerism and research about the sector. The VSI was successful at the
highest level of gov't policy as it contributed to the creation of the Human
Resources Voluntary Sector Council (English -
http://www.hrcouncil.ca/council/index_e.cfm, French -
http://www.hrcouncil.ca/council/index_f.cfm)- formalizing our influence on
government. The current focus is on providing Human Resource Management
tools and templates that non-profits anywhere can freely use (English -
http://www.hrcouncil.ca/index_e.cfm , French -
http://www.hrcouncil.ca/index_f.cfm ) There are lots of resources you can
download and use!

Part of original VSI research and work revealed that  more and more demands
are being placed on non-profit sector leaders (ex. stricter funding and
reporting requirements, increased demand for services) while funding,
overall, has decreased! Additionally, the sector has not done a good job of
succession planning and the majority of our current leaders are about to
retire! Finally, there has been (and it's anticipated the trend will
continue) alot of turnover in leadership - business leaders coming into the
non-profit sector and vice versa..  Finally, Canada is a large country and
many remote or small non-profits were struggling to access development
opportunities. For these reasons, leadership development was noted as a high
priority and the National Learning Initiative was established, as part of
the VSI,  in order to specifically address leadership development and
training in the non-profit sector. If you visit this link you'll see there
are lots of other links to related information on leadership... (English -
http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/eng/hr/nli.cfm, French -
http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/fr/hr/nli.cfm)

The Report on the pan-Canadian school I spoke of / was involved with can be
found at: English -
http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/eng/hr/pdf/pancdn_pilot_report.pdf / French -
http://www.vsi-isbc.ca/fr/hr/pdf/pancdn_pilot_report.pdf

I also delivered the second year of the school where we focused on young
leaders in the sector (18-29) but, because it was funded by a private
foundation, I have no authority to release all of the information to the
public. I can point you to the following paper (Trends and Issues in the
Voluntary Sector: A Youth Leadership Perspective -
http://www.communityleadership.net/index.php/weblog/detail_news/460/ ) which
was actually written by the youth leaders at the school!

Best wishes to all,
Glory