The largest size of a session group

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 05:28:18 PST 2006

Andrew - my experience on "optimal group size" is anything that works. I
know that people have spent endless hours attempting to define the perfect
number - but I have never seen that reflected in an Open Space. I think the
reason is that OS groups are self-organizing/emergent - and therefore
natural. In other situations, the groups are formed by some higher
intelligence (The Facilitator). I don't think the optimal group size has
anything to do with the nature of groups, and has everything to do with the
capacity of the facilitator. In Open Space there is obviously no
facilitator, so the groups can do whatever feels good. And in my experience,
that is precisely what takes place. The largest breakout group I personally
have ever seen was pretty close to 100 - but I didn't count. It was
dynamite!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html