Announcing a new Poet Laureate

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 15:51:06 PST 2006

I normally don't follow this context as it is not easy, as you know, to fully understand poetry in a foreign language.

  But I always read the announcements of the results.

  And congratulations, Lisa.

  Should I be a voter, and you would have had all my virtual dots.

  Beijos

  Artur

  -----------

Joelle Lyons Everett <JLEShelton at aol.com> wrote:
    Friends---

The winner of the OSList Poetry Celebration and Contest is Lisa Heft, for Poem #6, which honors the journey many of us have made from thinking that being a facilitator meant keeping control over a meeting, to knowing that if we will hold the space, the people will do it all themselves.

  (...)

  Poem #6, by Lisa Heft

I once tried to do everything opposite.
Sit in a line.
I shall stand at a podium and tell you how to think.
No room for extra thoughts – that is off-topic.
Please have your agenda items ready one week in advance.
I will select a few topics I feel pertain to the issue.
Please refrain from thinking until the official start time of our meeting.
Only those with special titles may have ideas.
Do not leave the room.
Please be sure you end the meeting with the same thoughts you came in with.
Keep the windows closed so no insects fly in to disturb our meeting.
No breathing, please.