Report available - Girl Scout Open Space for over 1,600 & Strategy Cafes for thousands more

Claudia Haack claudia at kairosalliance.com
Sun Feb 5 15:56:05 PST 2006

Diane,

The Website was created by GSUSA.  That is they created the "frame".  All
the content, from entry to formatting was done by the volunteers.  There
were a couple of glitches with that one, but ultimately it turned out great
and people are still actively using it (that's 3 months post convention).

The OS and TWC events were offered in addition to the regular tri-annual
business meeting.  This is their convention where the board gets elected,
changes to the by-laws are considered etc. etc.  There are about 8000 guests
and 2800 official delegates.  The delegates HAVE to attend the business
meeting and many guests choose to because that's why they came in the first
place.

The OS was on the topic of Governance and initially only open to delegates.
They later added "substitutes" and a couple other "representatives" per
council.  This event was held mostly BEFORE the actual convention/business
meeting started.

The Cafés were in the exhibit all and open all day for almost three days.
They were open to anyone there, including those visitors that only had an
exhibit pass, vendors, and anybody else who had access to the exhibit.
However, they ran parallel with the business meeting.
People definitely chose to go to the events.  Those that went to the OS on
Governance may have been there also because there was an expectation that
their council should be represented, but that's really guessing.  There
really wasn't a competition between the business meeting and the Cafés.
People are clearly there to attend the business meeting and participate in
shaping their organization in the context of the existing governance
structure.  However, we have heard several comments that all the
conversations - even if they were not directly related to the topics in the
business meeting - changed the dynamics of the business meeting and that
many people there can't imagine another convention without OS and TWC (or
something like that).  I wouldn't be surprised if the next edition will be
much more integrated.

In addition to these events, there was a Girl Congress at the same time.
The never-tired group of volunteers also pulled off 2 TWC sessions here.
They were for everybody, no alternative program.  It went fantastic.  900
Girls talking about the future of Girl Scouting.

As I am writing, this should be added to our "public" report so that those
who were not there get a better context.  Thanks for asking about this.
I'll put a few slides together that create a frame.

Best - Claudia

Claudia Haack
KAIROS Alliance Inc.
tel. 608.288.8315