Last day to vote for your favorite Poetry Contest poem!

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 11:35:14 PST 2006

 Friends---

For your enjoyment, here are the satiric poems submitted for the OSList
Poetry Celebration and Contest.  Each reader is hereby given five (5) virtual
sticky dots to distribute to the poems as they wish.  DO NOT REPLY TO THE OSLIST
WITH VOTES.  E-MAIL YOUR VOTES TO jleshelton at aol.com by February 5, before
midnight in your time zone.  Author of the winning poem will be the new Poet
Laureate of the OSList.

Poem #1

Euphoric Bullshit

We come into the circle with our passions and resolve
We each have a lot of issues that we really want to solve
But we all start a talkin', and things get out of hand
So take a little breath (breath) and settle down and we'll ease into the plan

CHORUS:
Euphoric bullshit is the name of the game
We take the sacred and we make it profane
You can't come in, unless you bear your pain
Euphoric bullshit is the name of the game

We're calling a lot of sessions, with various intents
Some get a little bit impatient as we sit upon the fence
But emergence growing edges will carry us all along
We are but one great voice in the universal song

Chorus
Instrumental break

Now the time has come for us to go out into the world
And throw our great intentions into the cosmic swirl
Hey you don't need to worry that these things will come to pass
Because evolution's arrow will kick you in the ass

Chorus

Poem #2

There was a young man who had learned a good trick.
He stood up and asked them all "what makes you tick?"
They wrote a few words and he went for a walk.
He returned and they cried "it was so good to talk!"
They hugged him and gave him a kiss on the neck
As he walked out the door to deposit the check.

Poem #3

Atlas

Atlas strains to stay standing.
His stone limbs faintly shaking,
he gazes far off as if to forget
this cruel, pressing mass he must lift
until time ends. Holding space is a curse.

Poem #4

i opened the circle

disappeared down the rabbit hole

emerged the other side

flowing with the tide

Poem #5

“I Am So Amazing”

I invite them to crawl around on the floor
…and they do.
…and they kind of like it.

I invite them to post signs on a wall, run around the room like insects…

I tell them feet have laws.

The part they see me do is pick up their coffee cups – incredibly skilled
work, worthy of huge sums of money.

I ring a bell; they sit.

I have such power…

Poem #6

I once tried to do everything opposite.
Sit in a line.
I shall stand at a podium and tell you how to think.
No room for extra thoughts – that is off-topic.
Please have your agenda items ready one week in advance.
I will select a few topics I feel pertain to the issue.
Please refrain from thinking until the official start time of our meeting.
Only those with special titles may have ideas.
Do not leave the room.
Please be sure you end the meeting with the same thoughts you came in with.
Keep the windows closed so no insects fly in to disturb our meeting.
No breathing, please.