USB-sticks and WIKIS

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Tue Feb 14 07:42:06 PST 2006

Hi Frank,

You asked: Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of wiki vs.
floppy/usb?

The nice thing about the wiki is that it becomes like an OS on line, a chat
room on each report topic. Participants on site or other members of the
organization not present physically can continue interacting electronically
after the group discussion and even after the OS. I had participants from
Los Angeles and India connected to an Ottawa OS.

One draw back I found with wiki was in the naming of reports especially with
people used to working with wickies. They just went and did what they
normally do without paying any attention to the verbal and written
instructions about naming the report. This made it much harder to track
which reports where completed so they could be printed for the News wall and
the Book.

Also, other participants are able to change the report before the News Room
prints a copy of the initiator's report that will go in the Book of reports.
On the printed version, there is no way to see that someone has changed the
original report. This can cause a bit of frustration on the part of the
initiator who took responsibility to communicate the group's discussion and
can see his or her name attached - without their knowing - to a document
that is not reflective of their work. On the screen, one can verify what
changes have been made but when reading the reports for convergence,
participants read from a hard copy - there isn't a computer screen for each
participant.

At another OS, reports were entered into the wiki at the end of day only
which eliminated the above problem.

An alternative technology: In another OS, people from across Canada were
connected, not via a wiki but via a web site on which reports were posted as
is and comments from anywhere about any of the reports or about the OS theme
could be given on a separate page that was posted on the News wall. People
were also invited to have their own OS in regions and to send in their
reports for the News wall.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the experience with wikis
Diane

Diane Gibeault & Associé.es-Associates

www.dianegibeault.com

diane.gibeault at rogers.com   Ottawa Canada   (613) 744-2638

Facilitation and Training in Support of Transformation
Facilitation et formation en appui à la transformation