Simultaneous translation at 5-language Open Space event [long]

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Sat Dec 16 02:00:49 PST 2006

Hi there Lisa,

If I had to do an open space for people with five different languages
as a performer i would have no hesitation now i know the format to do
the introduction in a language no one understands Gibberish!

Over the years training actors to use Gibberish IE made up sound
language I have been amazed by what actually gets communicated by the
voice and the body. Indeed after practice and clear feedback about
what people get good gibberish speakers can communicate virtually
anything in nonsense language.  (except perhaps trade names). For
further guidance check out Viola Spolins improvisation for the theatre.

I can well understand that seems too far out for someone not used to
that but I WOULD recommend actually trying a rehearsal of the intro
IN GIBBERISH without anyone there to discover which bits of the
process are being communicated not by the words but by other means to
reassure you people will get it in whatever language you are speaking.

Phelim