Simultaneous translation at 5-language Open Space event [long]

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Fri Dec 15 14:47:43 PST 2006

Dear Lisa,

What an interesting question !

Reading your story I wondered what would happen if:
- you opened space a few times in the same location (in a different
language each time), but different groups having access
   to eachother's agenda's and discussions;
- you did a training for a small group of facilitators who each could
facilitate an Open Space in their language;

I may be biased by an experience I once had with the Danish extension
service: providing services to Danish farmers.
A regional extension organisation wanted to identify future needs of
the farmers in their area. But basicallly they also
felt that they actually knew what these were - almost better than the
farmers themselves.

In the end an Open Space with farmers only was held, which produced a
rather different and innovative picture of what
was needed, and unfortunately for the extension service, much of what
was needed could be provided by self-organisation
of the farmers.

So I wonder ........

Greetings from Holland,

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621					Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk