Simultaneous translation at 5-language Open Space event [long]

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Dec 15 15:26:18 PST 2006

Head-Banger for sure! But one thing I would be really cautious about is the
techno-fix. Having been involved in a number of simultaneous translation
situations - I am not really sure how much you would be gaining. The only
time it would actually work is in the opening and that accounts for 15-20
min. More to the point it is not really necessary that everybody understands
what you are saying. 15 years ago I had a group of 500 sugar plant workers
in Latin America. I would guess that the level of English comprehension was
about 0.2%. I did have a Cuban who did a spotty (brief) translation - but
very brief. As near as I could tell everything worked just like usual. After
the first 2-3 participants stood up to announce their issues, everybody else
quickly got the picture. And from there on out, the whole thing ran in
Spanish - which I didn't speak nor really understand. Now that is not 5
languages, but my money is still on the People. They WILL figure a way if
they truly want to. Of course, their level of desire will be directly
related to their "Care Quotient." How important do they really think this
whole thing is? How much do they really want to participate? If folks are
there mostly because they are "supposed to be" - and that "supposed to be"
is actually dictated by the sponsor who has accepted a contract to bring
these folks together, and has therefore collected the appropriate number of
bodies. . . I am not sure that the Caring Quotient will be high enough to
carry the day. On the other hand, if people see this whole thing as a matter
of genuine concern (life and death concern would be great) - they will find
the way. On that score, I really like Wendy's suggestion that you ask the
participants. Might even do it in a rather challenging way - How are they
going to solve this problem????

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html