which to give up - morning or evening news?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Thu Dec 14 16:13:30 PST 2006

i've done OS inside of conferences and as the conference, and inside
is definitely challenging.  i think some resolution comes for us as
facilitators if we give up on much of what we think OS is or could or
should be in these times, and just open space.  just be a gathering
point for something new.  these conferences don't really have *any*
space for new things or reflection.  so rather than seeing the
schedule constraints as limiting newness/reflection, i think it's
possible to present/invite/open *for* exactly that -- newness and
depth -- and understand that we are adding that to the main
conference.  so they are not missing *from* the OS time, they are
offered and added *by* the OS time.  this lets a lot of OS structures
go away, and can be a bit of a slippery slope to hold it all together,
but in most cases it's just hard on the facilitator ego, being the
captain of something so shapeless.  where we'd prefer to be big clouds
of rain, we end up being more like the rivulets running over and
around the roots of the trees... but all part of the same flow, in the
end, i think.

michael at michaelherman.com
http://www.michaelherman.com

webmaster at openspaceworld.org