back to the future-- 2084 revisited and remembering remembering

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Wed Dec 13 11:12:04 PST 2006

Greetings Alan and all!

Last month, Alan, you asked what would 2084 look like. Being enchanted by
the relationship between so-called "learning" and OS, I think 2084 will
witness a different vision and understanding of learning. Recognizing that
the humans change much slower than the rate at which high technology
changes, I am not expecting *that* much to change in terms of our
understanding of learning.

What I think is possible by then, however, is that in some parts of the
world we will be talking and experiencing not so much learning but rather
*remembering.*

Learning will probably be discredited in some quarters because it assumes
that  knowledge is located externally, is a product of false dualities, that
it presumes unnecessary doing.

Remembering may not necessarily become the term everyone uses, it is much
too awkward sounding, but at least it is more consonant with the notion that:

1. the answers to all questions are already within us
2. everything is interconnected.

Re-membering implies an ongoing process of constant re-integration. Anicca,
law of two feet 24/7.

Who else has an interest in "remembering" and other alternatives to
"learning"? Any authors you know who speak to remembering?

In practice all of this might mean that the lecture as a means of delivering
information will begin to die out in favor of other forms of "juice exchange."

With a renewed recent interest in Buddhism and so many of the openly
spacious aspects of this spiritual tradition, I have sometimes wondered
about the place and format of the so-called dharma talk and the spiritual
"teacher". The word "teacher" for me seems to promote, encourage passivity,
unhealthy dependency, etc. This is another word I hope will begin to fall
out of use by 2084. But I'm not holding my breath...

My working alternative to "teacher" right now- "spaceholder." and for
student- "co-rememberer." Don't think we will be talking of "high
remembering" anytime soon. Not even in 2084.

I don't expect language to keep up with our own reality. But most recently,
I have been wondering more and more about what we are recreating when we use
old words reflecting an old world view to talk about something new that has
taken its place.

When we model however with new language, there is an invitation to engage in
new and unexpected ways. It has been exciting to talk about "spaceholding"
and the "spaceholder" in Russian (and trying to find a good Russian
equivalent)-- it invites a much deeper and searching conversation, totally
shifts the energy with a group as opposed to just using the standard word
for facilitating which could be back-translated as "leading". Yawn?

So what is a "learning workshop"? Perhaps a "remembering playspace"?

warmly,
raffi