coffee

Ted Ernst ted at chicagohumanist.org
Thu Dec 7 07:50:07 PST 2006

I'm on the organizing committee for WikiSym 2007, a traditional
academic conference started in 2005, that Gerard Muller and I
facilitated OST for in 2006.  On the committee email list we've been
talking about how to further integrate OST into the rest of the
conference.  The subject of the schedule came up and it was said that
because we're co-located with OOPLSA (a huge traditional academic
conference), we're stuck with their 90 minute sessions with 30 minute
coffee breaks in between.  So, of course I had to point out that if we
were using OST as written in the book, we wouldn't need to schedule
the breaks, as we'd have the coffee out all the time and people would
take care of themselves.

Someone wrote back to say that at agile conferences, they use a
schedule with coffee breaks in it and the OST works fine.  He said
that: "turn the whole conference into a coffee break" isn't meant to
say that literally coffee has to be available all the time.

The next response was from Ward Cunningham, the Harrison Owen of the
wiki-world.  He said that he can't believe how hard it is to get a cup
of coffee at these conferences.  He says fantastic conversations are
happening and by the time they break up, the coffee has been removed!

I'll keep you posted on the WikiSym2007 coffee situation as
developments arise. :-)

peace,
ted

--