Larry's question

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sat Dec 2 08:03:16 PST 2006

On 12/2/06 2:00 AM, "Larry Peterson asked me...

> When you do a full Future Search - do you call it Future Search??  When
> you use the full AI Process do you call it Appreciative Inquiry?
>
> I also know folks who do not use the terms of OST or OS but use the full
> process as described in the User's Guide.  In many corporate settings
> the language is too threatening so people just use the "technology" and
> it works!  I ask those folks what they say when people come up to them
> and say, "What was that?"  If there is no acknowledgement of sources at
> that point, then it is the ego of the facilitator that gets stroked.

Larry and all,

When I do a future search, I call it that, as a way to refer to what I¹m
talking about.  ( I don¹t use AI.)  But as with OS, the clients don¹t seem
to care much about the terminology.  I could call it a Mercedes-Benz or a
bottle of ketchup.  The name thing is mostly for us, it seems to me, and
this is fine.   With my nonprofit clients (I work corporate settings rarely
these days), if they feel a threat, it appears to stem from the process and
challenge to authority rather than the language.  I just explain stuff as
best I can and do the work when they let me.  I¹m not sure what you mean by
your last sentence.

(Best personal regards to you and Becky, by the way.)

Ralph Copleman