OST for Office Conflict. Yes or No?

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Wed Aug 30 11:13:55 PDT 2006

Hello Elwin,

I have facilitated an Open Space where one of the resulting actions
was a key person leaving a position of leadership and the group.

I did not know about the conflict going into the os - I was actually
filling in for Chris Weaver when a family need came up for him which
conflicted with the scheduled os.

The situation i was in seems different, but I'll offer my story:

The group was a 12 member council putting together a conference in
North Carolina called Earth Spirit Rising. I found out later - a year
or two - that there were several people in the group who had done
some pretty powerful group processes in their lifetimes, a real
asset. One of the members, a man who had done a great deal of primary
groundwork on the project and was deeply invested, was in conflict
with some of the other members, and was having some personal issues
to deal with on his own.

Right from the beginning after opening the space the issue of the
conflict between the man I mentioned and the group flared up. Some of
the group wanted this man to leave, others had tacit support for him,
and others wanted the best for the project and the conference, and
the man was conflicted himself about whether he wanted to leave or
not, but at the beginning was resisting being thrown out. Everyone
turned to me to directly facilitate the conflict, and I told them
that it was now there meeting, their passion, their responsibility to
deal with the most pressing issues as adults. And I left the room,
essentially opening more space.

It was hard to leave the room and let them proceed without me, but it
was the best thing I could have done.

I returned after about an hour to see how they were doing. They
survived, they self-organized. The man in the center of the conflict
ended up deciding it was best for him and the group to leave the
project. The group as a whole created and dealt with an exit plan/
transition strategy.

And then a beautiful, powerful moment unfolded as the group designed
a parting ritual that took place in the middle of the circle, with
the man in the center surrounded in circle by the rest of the group.
And they thanked him for his contribution and together they found
healing.

I don't know what will happen with your project, but I've found Open
Space to provide a very powerful container for conflict, drama,
passion and responsibility.

So, whatever you decide to do, prepare to be surprised!

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Know Place Like Home/Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document

www.knowplacelikehome.com
www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com