Camps. Gatherings & Un-conferences

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Aug 28 12:33:17 PDT 2006

And not to forget that Kaliya Hamlin is actively keeping track in the
evolution of unconferences and camps she is involved in at her blog
"Unconferencing".  You can find her blog here:

http://www.kaliyasblogs.net/unconference/

Cheers,

Chris

On 8/28/06, Ted Ernst <ted at chicagohumanist.org> wrote:

> I think Michael's got the history mostly right.  I don't know details.
> Some of these "camps" are being run on extremely low budgets, people
> sleeping on office floors and such, as a reaction to the $1000+ per
> person exclusive conferences.  And yes, they're using OST.
>
> Gerard and I each have writing to do about our experience last week at
> WikiSym, running open space in parallel with papers and such.  I'm
> just home today so it'll take a bit of time, but rest assured, we have
> some things to talk about. :-)
>
> peace,
> ted
>
> On 8/26/06, Michael Herman <michael at michaelherman.com> wrote:
> > i can add that i facilitated here in chicago, 2002 i think, what i
> > think was the first agile/xp open space, which ran concurrently with
> > other sessions. the way we storied it was that 'birds of a feather'
> > groups would run at lunches and be convened on issues that by
> > definition were old enough that many felt expert enough and involved
> > enough with to get together on their own and talk about.  the main
> > conference topics were for leaders to bring new stuff, they'd done
> > extensive work on, and were juried in.  then the open space was for
> > the 'future of software' ...the stuff that nobody'd been able to study
> > yet.
> >
> > the opening was concurrent, on first afternoon of main conference.
> > the morning of that day was 3-4 keynoters... for whole group...
> > followed by 10 minutes of me giving brief opening notes... law of two
> > feet and other things, in addition to theme as mentioned above.  it
> > was concurrent and not what it would have been had we had all 300 at
> > once in open space, but we got about 1/3 of the folks in for the
> > openign and others drifted through.  seemed to work for people.  i
> > know some people went out of there and tried open space in other
> > places.
> >
> > can't recall, diana, you were there, yes?  and i know somebody went
> > back to germany and started running a java users group with os, after
> > the whole board resigned.  and i learned a lot about wiki from that
> > group and went on to use that software in trainings around the world,
> > and also at my site and openspaceworld.org.  so it definitely worked
> > for me.
> >
> > the thing i remember, too, about taht one is that because of the
> > concurrent thing, not as many people were coming to session as some
> > people wished.  one guy came up to tell me that nobody had come to his
> > session.  i reassured him that something might still happen on it...
> > that it was important to make the invitaiton and see what came...
> > whenever it came... that somebody might yet find him at lunch or
> > dinner that day or the next... and at just taht moment another guy
> > walked up and said "hey, how did your session go... i wanted to come
> > but got stuck elsewhere... do you want to have lunch?"  classic open
> > space moment!  perfect timing!  (now you've got me using the
> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology

Join us for the Art of Hosting Meaningful Conversations training, September
24-27, Bowen Island, BC:
http://www.chriscorrigan.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ArtOfHosting

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com
Open Space Resources:  http://tinyurl.com/r94tj