OS/OST

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 06:47:17 PDT 2006

Justin and all,

³Do y'all distinguish between "Open Space" as the philosophy and
feeling of "whoever comes", "whatever happens", etc.; and "Open
Space Technology" as a particular meeting structure that has
helped to create and hold Open Spaces?²

I think your distinction is clear and accurate, and I think I first learned
it very much the way you state it from Birgitt Williams, after I had
frequently complained that ³open space technology² is paradoxical, a
self-contained contradiction.

After all these years, despite HO¹s many patient explanations of the simple
practicality of the term ³OST², I cannot bring myself to say it.  To my
mind, it would be like like calling the atmosphere ³air technology².

Ralph Copleman