Open Space with Haiti's Minister of Education

Eric Lilius elilius at halhinet.on.ca
Mon Aug 28 07:30:47 PDT 2006

John ,
That's wonderful news.

I take note of synchronous events in my life.
This morning, I got up early and was reading The Fall 2006 issue of
Parabola. The second essay titled "Thinking as Prayer" was about "Lectio
Divina" translated as "Divine Reading". This term was new to me. Hours
later, I see "Lectio Divina" again in your message about this
breakthrough event in Haiti. The essay describes the method in relation
to sacred texts as "listening with the ear of the heart". Could you
describe how the method is used in Haiti?

The essay concludes
"Thinking was something different then: no answers, only questions; only
being in question, becoming a question."

May the way be clear for your work

Eric

John Engle wrote:
> Greetings fellow listers.
>
> My colleagues and I were graced with the opportunity we’ve longed for.
>
> We presented a keynote (Mac’s version of powerpoint) presentation to
> Haiti’s Minister of Education this past Friday evening and followed it
> with an hour and a half open space meeting.
>
> Our theme: Education: Improvement through transformation...How can we
> do it?
>
> The Minister, Gabriel Bien-Aime, was accompanied by several of his
> staff. The dialogue in the small group discussions was great and all
> involved expressed their enthusiasm. There were about 20 of us and the
> entire meeting was filmed by Ministry’s videographer. They also
> interviewed Fremy Cesar and I the following morning for the Ministry’s
> weekly television program which is aired nationally.
>
> The small group I participated in which was proposed by one of the
> members of staff: “What steps do we take to engage all sectors of
> society toward improving Haiti’s educational system?”
>
> We’ll see where it all goes.
>
> It was made possible by a Haitian man who is the Minister’s friend and
> who participated in Haiti Open Space on Open Space this past June.
>
> Our presentation also included the two other methods that my
> colleagues use in schools and various groups in Haiti: Reflection
> Circles and Lectio Divina.
>
> I’ll keep you posted on progress.
>
> John
> --
> http://circlesofchange.com participatory learning & leadership
> http://harvesttime.cc harvesting for justice that all may have enough
> http://beyondborders.net changing lives through education and exchange
>
> email: john at johnengle.net
> telephone: 202-236-6532
>
> John Engle
> P.O. Box 337
> Hershey, PA 17033
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

http://www.haliburtonfolk.com
http://savethefrostcentre.ca
http://www.environmenthaliburton.ca
`·.¸ ><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><¸.·´¯·.¸
`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
<º))))><·.¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸
·..·´¯`·. <º))))><.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><

Eric Lilius
Box 27
(1563 Eagle Lake Road)
Eagle Lake, ON  K0M 1M0
CANADA W78.34.12/N45.07.09
705-754-9859
705-754-9860 (fax)
When you eventually see through the veils to how things really are,
you will keep saying again and again,"This is certainly not like
we thought it was!"
					Rumi