Camps. Gatherings & Un-conferences

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Fri Aug 25 13:33:35 PDT 2006

Hi Diana!

Your question raises a related question for me -- Open Space
Technology is often used a part of a conference, but not the whole
conference, with varying success/satisfaction. For example, at NCDD
2006 the explicit use of OST was restricted in time to just a couple
hours in the middle of the conference; I liked the taste, but wanted
more. And I heard from colleagues who attended Agile 2006 that the OST
component was less satisfying this year because it felt "second class"
-- it wasn't restricted in time, but the opening circle was run
concurrently with other planned sessions, and the space set aside for
it was depressing (low ceilings, bad lighting).

Does this trend raise hope that OST is becoming more well-known and
accepted, or concern that it will be misunderstood as something more
restricted than it is? Both, I'm sure; just curious how folks here are
dreaming about it.

Cheers,
Justin

P.S. Diana -- it's fun to see a name I recognize from another context!
I'm an agile software consultant myself.