Open Space for small groups

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Wed Aug 16 09:16:09 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Harrison Owen <hhowen at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Justin -- just remember "personal responsibility" and "passion" -- and make
> sure there is plenty of room for both. Honestly, the rest will take care of
> itself, regardless of group size. And I say a word in your note that
> troubled me. "Table." Probably a holdover from your pre-os days. But get rid
> of all the tables. Circles of chairs only. Especially with small groups.
> Tables anchor people in a set configuration to particular spots. Chairs move
> around (at least they can).

Not a "holdover" -- we're still *in* our pre-OS days! :) I was
observing that even with a table, and even with Robert's Rules, the
group manages to go off in side conversations anyway. So I'm looking
to Open Space as a way of helping that happen in a healthy way, with
everyone having a chance to do it openly, rather than two or three
just whispering to each other at one end of the table. But thanks for
the reminder that getting rid of the tables is an important part!

Cheers,
Justin