Working with visual artists at an Open Space

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 20:27:13 PDT 2006

Re: Working with visual artists at an Open SpaceHi Chris and All

A graphic recordist who is in tune with the process can add wonderful dimensions to a gathering.

This is my experience in working often with a person who is a great personal friend and who has been integral to my professional development.

This is Cate FoleyBurke. She has a wonderful gift of recording the tenor of conversations in breakout groups in a way that resonates deeply
with participants. Cate notes (my paraphrase):

"I do not hear the words, they flow through me and what I record in words, pictures and symbols 'just happens.'"

She usually works with A2 sized paper and each completed recording is immediately posted on a gallery wall for all to see.

Just three of the dimensions which people have reported:

. When we saw what Cate had produced we were amazed at how profound was our conversation.

. We had Cate's graphic recordings of our Open Space gathering laminated and hung in a place where all could gain access to them. They made for a wonderful ongoing 'talking point' both of those present on the day and others.

. We greatly enjoyed Cate's presence in our midst. She is a lovely spirit. (I would add that she often plays a flute when people are arriving).

You can see some of her early recordings done several years ago - her skills have developed considerably since that time - and her comments on the value of conversational processes at: http://www.theworldcafe.com/storyconversing.html

While Cate moved from Adelaide to live in southern Tasmania a few years ago and I to Hong Kong, there are good prospects of our teaming up again soon.

I wonder if this story 'triggers' a thought in you: This is lovely stuff and I know just the person - or how to find such a person -  who may be happy to work with me ...?

Go well

With love

Alan

Alan Stewart, PhD

The Facilitator and Communications Coach

Founder and Principal of Multimind Solutions

Now based in Hong Kong and operating throughout SE and East Asia

Tel +852 9438 7680
www.multimindsolutions.com

alanmstewart at gmail.com