Working with visual artists at an Open Space

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:38:57 PDT 2006

Hi Chris.  Nancy Marguilies, of course, has a book out.  That might help
you.

I have seen Nancy M. do her graphic resonance work at two events, one a
four-day open space.  Seeing her visual art unfold as the event unfolds adds
an amazing dimension to the experience.  As her beautiful work develops, she
places the art along the walls, creating a living and breathing gallery of
the event.  Wow. It is amazing.  At the end, she invites the whole group to
do a gallery walk and it is so wonderful to walk through the experience once
again, through her art.

At the May evolutionary salon (the 4-day OS event where Nancy Marguilies did
graphic resonance), there were several other artists who had indicated to me
(I was the registrar so I had contact with all participants as they prepared
to come) that they would be creating art during the four-day, OS salon.  I
mention this because, as far as I know, this did not happen.

There was one artist there, Thomas Arthur, who you may know (He is Ashley
Cooper's guy!) who brought his art into some of our large circles.  Thomas
created a sculpture in the main circle room and it added measurably to the
richness of our time.  Then in the closing circle, he created a fine
sculpture in the center, which actually ended up becoming an integral part
of the closing (one member kicked over the sculpture and another member (our
beloved Peggy H.) reassembled it and many in that closing circle 'reacted'
to Thomnas' art/sculpture in the center of the circle.

I am intrigued, though, by the other visual artists who spoke with excited
anticipation before the event, telling me they would love to create art
'live' at the event . . . but did not do so.  I am wondering what conditions
would be optimal to be condusive to inviting and creating the 'right' space
to nurture the creation of art?

I don't know Nancy Marguilies well but I know that it was her clear
intention to be creating art throughout the four-day OS. . . and that is
what she did. All she needed from me, as the logistics goddess, was two
easels with paper to last the whole weekend:  of course, I made sure she had
what she needed.  Now I am wondering if I could have provided something to
make the space more inviting to the other artists who said they would create
. . . but did not end up doing so?

i share these thoughts to help you think through your logistics, Chris.  I
have no answers.

On 8/9/06, Chris Corrigan <chris at chriscorrigan.com> wrote:

> Hi mates:
>
> I have an opportunity coming up in the fall to work with a visual artist
> for an Open Space I am doing.  The clients wants us to work together and I'm
> excited by the possibility, but haven't ever done that before.
>
> So what kind of good stories do you have of working with visual artists
> (and visual art as a modality) in Open Space.
>
> Daniel?  Reinhardt?  Is Nancy Margulis around?  Others?
>
> Chris
>
> --
> CHRIS CORRIGAN
> Consultation - Facilitation
> Open Space Technology
>
> Weblog: http://www.chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot
> Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com
> Open Space Resources:  http://tinyurl.com/r94tj * *

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.  -- Hannah Arendt