Advanced Butterfly Behavior/ collective butterfly and invitation

ashley cooper mail.easilyamazed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:30:45 PDT 2006

Thank you all for this conversation.

Two lines of thought are present with me, I'll try and give them words.

A meta note: I recognize that many individuals are deepening their
capacities for intimate interpersonal relationships where a collective is
actively engaging the wisdom that is present, becoming a collective
consciously flowing as a unified whole. This is different from conscious
people coming together as powerful individuals who are piecing together the
parts of their offerings into a collaborative offering. Both are extremely
important and useful in the world and I also see them as different forces.

As I read this butterfly thread, I see in my mind's eye the image of a
butterfly. However this butterfly is not a single person, it is a single
whole that is made up of many people. This whole exists but does not yet
know itself (is not self aware). Some-one in the whole recognizes it is a
whole and calls attention to itself. I see the private sessions as being
very similar to Chris' solitary moments in the bushes. It is a time-space
experience of breathing as oneself, of honoring a flow or current that is
vibrant and present internally but a little less so in the openness of all
that are present at the event. In order to honor and engage the essence of
this flow, the small, resonant collective must experience itself together
and thus a private session emerges. If the intention to hold a certain
resonance together is made clear, then whoever comes are the right people...

The other notion that comes to me is the role of invitation. I was also at
both events that Peggy mentioned. At both the invitation was extended to a
wide array of individuals, many people present. The diversity made the
events; the complexity of people and relationships was essential in the
essence and life that emerged. What do you do when there is more potential
and intention present in a gathering then the widespread call that is made?
It seems to me like a smaller space opened within a larger OS and a separate
invitation was sent out while the event was going on. If the same group had
left the original OS event, moved next store to the next beautiful island
retreat center and held a 4 hour open space and then returned to the
original OS, sharing that which unfolded, would that have been more
appropriate?

One other little piece of information is that I know at the May Evolutionary
Salon there was at least one other private invitational session that
happened during the final next-step action-planning breakout sessions. I
wonder if this is a pattern beginning to emerge... a need for invitational
breakout sessions within certain larger Open Spaces. I wonder how
developmental stages of individuals and collectives fits into this equation.
I also see the challenges that arise with these wonderings! I'll stop here!

Curious,
Ashley