Belarus

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 23:02:12 PDT 2006

Jo--

Delighted to read your e-mail from Belarus.   Paul and I spent a week there a
few months before the fall of the Communist government in Russia, as part of
a project I was working on.

We were able to visit a number of organizations in Minsk, and spent a day on
a large collective farm that had received heavy radiation from the Chernobyl
accident and could no longer sell their crops.   The young children in the
region, born since the accident, were in very poor health.

It was a difficult time, but we also saw evidence of people self-organizing
to make life better.   We were received with warm hospitality--and also
suspected that the government was keeping a close eye on our activities.

What a joy that you are there for Open Space training!

All my best wishes,

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington, USA